Sports Briefs

TRACK/FIELD

Senior Murielle Ahoure, who owns the fastest time in the 60-meter dash this year, won the 200-meter dash with a provisional time of 23.26 seconds at the Virginia Tech Elite on Saturday.

Junior Mikese Morse notched his third provisional mark of the year for a season-best distance of 7.58 meters in the long jump and also placed third in the triple jump.

On the women’s side, sophomore Tameka Jameson won the 400-meter dash and freshman Brittni Finch finished third in her first collegiate attempt at the triple jump.

Miami participates at the Texas A&M Invite next weekend.

SOCCER

Ten student-athletes will join the University of Miami women’s soccer team as part of the 2009 class, including two All-Americans, three National ODP Players, six Regional ODP players and three national champions.

Defender Cassidy Banks and goalkeeper Ali Brennan each played for the national champion McLean Freedom club team. Forward Samantha Falk was a five-time state champion in club soccer and recorded 38 goals and 70 assists during her high school career.

The Canes finished 10-9-3 and reached the first round of the NCAA tournament for the second consecutive year this season. The program will lose just two starters for next year and returns 18 letter-winners.

VOLLEYBALL

University of Miami freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was named an honorable mention for the 2008 Stellar Spiker team from Collegiate Volleyball Update (CVU.com), which recently tabbed her as a rising star.

This marks the fourth award for Carico, who led the squad in kills (369), service aces (35) and points (433).

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.