Sports Briefs

TRACK/FIELD

Senior Murielle Ahoure, who owns the fastest time in the 60-meter dash this year, won the 200-meter dash with a provisional time of 23.26 seconds at the Virginia Tech Elite on Saturday.

Junior Mikese Morse notched his third provisional mark of the year for a season-best distance of 7.58 meters in the long jump and also placed third in the triple jump.

On the women’s side, sophomore Tameka Jameson won the 400-meter dash and freshman Brittni Finch finished third in her first collegiate attempt at the triple jump.

Miami participates at the Texas A&M Invite next weekend.

SOCCER

Ten student-athletes will join the University of Miami women’s soccer team as part of the 2009 class, including two All-Americans, three National ODP Players, six Regional ODP players and three national champions.

Defender Cassidy Banks and goalkeeper Ali Brennan each played for the national champion McLean Freedom club team. Forward Samantha Falk was a five-time state champion in club soccer and recorded 38 goals and 70 assists during her high school career.

The Canes finished 10-9-3 and reached the first round of the NCAA tournament for the second consecutive year this season. The program will lose just two starters for next year and returns 18 letter-winners.

VOLLEYBALL

University of Miami freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was named an honorable mention for the 2008 Stellar Spiker team from Collegiate Volleyball Update (CVU.com), which recently tabbed her as a rising star.

This marks the fourth award for Carico, who led the squad in kills (369), service aces (35) and points (433).

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...