Our opinion: SportsFest formula needs to be changed to prevent falling participation

So whoopty-doo, Hecht wins SportsFest again. Who would have guessed it? Better lobbies, better athletes, hotter freshmen girls, they have it all. But it does beg the question: thousands of students and hundreds of teams, and not one year could any of them break through?

It’s hard to believe the best athletes have resided in Hecht for the last eight years (and Stanford for the six before that). Participation is a major part of the formula which decides the ultimate SportsFest champion, and no matter the year, Hecht has gotten the best of it. Of course participation is part of winning, but the freshman towers have a natural advantage at that. As freshman, they’re much less likely to be employed than upperclassmen residents. They all live together in a shared environment (those communal bathrooms really can build teams on their own), and honestly, what else do freshmen have to do but come outside and play with their friends? We wish we had that kind of time.

And now we head down a slippery slope. Teams that aren’t Hecht constantly see Saturday night leads eviscerated, creating a (well-founded) feeling that there’s no way to win. So why show up at all? Participation decreases, and the gap between the top and the bottom grows. That’s like cutting off the legs of someone has no feet, it’s just not fair.

Is there a way we can make it fair? Perhaps the SportsFest formula needs to be reconfigured, providing less advantage for stellar participation. Or, to have the best of both worlds, maybe there should be a two-title system, one featuring pure competition totals (like the NHL’s President’s Trophy) and one overall winner (like the Stanley Cup). No matter the solution, let’s come up with a system that rewards the best team and not just the one with the most bodies.

Editorial Board

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...