Our opinion: SportsFest formula needs to be changed to prevent falling participation

So whoopty-doo, Hecht wins SportsFest again. Who would have guessed it? Better lobbies, better athletes, hotter freshmen girls, they have it all. But it does beg the question: thousands of students and hundreds of teams, and not one year could any of them break through?

It’s hard to believe the best athletes have resided in Hecht for the last eight years (and Stanford for the six before that). Participation is a major part of the formula which decides the ultimate SportsFest champion, and no matter the year, Hecht has gotten the best of it. Of course participation is part of winning, but the freshman towers have a natural advantage at that. As freshman, they’re much less likely to be employed than upperclassmen residents. They all live together in a shared environment (those communal bathrooms really can build teams on their own), and honestly, what else do freshmen have to do but come outside and play with their friends? We wish we had that kind of time.

And now we head down a slippery slope. Teams that aren’t Hecht constantly see Saturday night leads eviscerated, creating a (well-founded) feeling that there’s no way to win. So why show up at all? Participation decreases, and the gap between the top and the bottom grows. That’s like cutting off the legs of someone has no feet, it’s just not fair.

Is there a way we can make it fair? Perhaps the SportsFest formula needs to be reconfigured, providing less advantage for stellar participation. Or, to have the best of both worlds, maybe there should be a two-title system, one featuring pure competition totals (like the NHL’s President’s Trophy) and one overall winner (like the Stanley Cup). No matter the solution, let’s come up with a system that rewards the best team and not just the one with the most bodies.

Editorial Board

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...