‘War Child’ hip-hop star to perform, talk on campus

emmanuel-returns-to-the-battlefieldImagine living throughout your childhood in fear. Imagine being 7 years old and playing with a gun rather than toys. With all of this around you at such a young age, what would be your escape?

For Emmanuel Jal, it was music.

“It was music therapy,” Jal said. “It reduced my nightmares, my depression disappeared. I was very active.”

Jal escaped Sudan after nearly five years of being a child soldier and is now an international hip-hop star. He will be performing and talking about his experiences Monday, Feb. 9, at 7 p.m. in Gusman Hall.

“Emmanuel Jal is on a whole other level,” said Jared Smith, the special events chair of Hurricane Productions. “He is such an underground superstar. It’s amazing.”

The event, which Smith described as “a few bars higher than def poetry and one bar below a concert,” is cosponsored by Hurricane Productions, the Council of International Students and Organizations, African Students Union, United Black Students and Invisible Children.

Jal has performed alongside Alicia Keys, Damian Marley and Five for Fighting at events such as The Concert to End Slavery, Live 8 and Nelson Mandela’s 90th birthday celebration in London. His music is also featured in the movie Blood Diamond.

Jal brings a unique and original style to hip-hop. His lyrics are very direct, almost as if he is speaking instead rapping.

“I’m telling my story through the music,” Jal said. “I’m bringing my neighborhood into the world just like other hip-hop artists do. What’s different is that I am the voice for those who can’t speak.”

Jal’s voice is now heard throughout the world and he is bringing his message to the United States, especially to universities. He is currently touring colleges, both performing and talking to students about his life and experiences. He will also be appearing on Comedy Central’s The Colbert Report later this month.

“If you look at history, these [collegiate]people are the ones that have the power. If you go back to MLK, the university people were the ones that made the difference,” Jal said. “They have the free mind and can make the choices. They have the power. I’m trying to tell them, ‘Look you can make it happen.'”

Jal also practices what he preaches. He has recently begun eating only one meal a day, using the money that he saves by not eating to help build a school in Sudan.

Jal’s actions and determination are the reason Smith believes this concert is the perfect event for these organizations – this is why they think the university will embrace Jal’s message.

“This is something that I can relate to,” Smith said. “This is politics. This is music. This is history.”

If You Go

What: Emmanuel Jal Concert

Where: Gusman Hall

When: Monday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6:45 p.m.

Cost: Free

www.warchildmovie.com

Ian Hest

Contributing EDGE Writer

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...