‘War Child’ hip-hop star to perform, talk on campus

emmanuel-returns-to-the-battlefieldImagine living throughout your childhood in fear. Imagine being 7 years old and playing with a gun rather than toys. With all of this around you at such a young age, what would be your escape?

For Emmanuel Jal, it was music.

“It was music therapy,” Jal said. “It reduced my nightmares, my depression disappeared. I was very active.”

Jal escaped Sudan after nearly five years of being a child soldier and is now an international hip-hop star. He will be performing and talking about his experiences Monday, Feb. 9, at 7 p.m. in Gusman Hall.

“Emmanuel Jal is on a whole other level,” said Jared Smith, the special events chair of Hurricane Productions. “He is such an underground superstar. It’s amazing.”

The event, which Smith described as “a few bars higher than def poetry and one bar below a concert,” is cosponsored by Hurricane Productions, the Council of International Students and Organizations, African Students Union, United Black Students and Invisible Children.

Jal has performed alongside Alicia Keys, Damian Marley and Five for Fighting at events such as The Concert to End Slavery, Live 8 and Nelson Mandela’s 90th birthday celebration in London. His music is also featured in the movie Blood Diamond.

Jal brings a unique and original style to hip-hop. His lyrics are very direct, almost as if he is speaking instead rapping.

“I’m telling my story through the music,” Jal said. “I’m bringing my neighborhood into the world just like other hip-hop artists do. What’s different is that I am the voice for those who can’t speak.”

Jal’s voice is now heard throughout the world and he is bringing his message to the United States, especially to universities. He is currently touring colleges, both performing and talking to students about his life and experiences. He will also be appearing on Comedy Central’s The Colbert Report later this month.

“If you look at history, these [collegiate]people are the ones that have the power. If you go back to MLK, the university people were the ones that made the difference,” Jal said. “They have the free mind and can make the choices. They have the power. I’m trying to tell them, ‘Look you can make it happen.'”

Jal also practices what he preaches. He has recently begun eating only one meal a day, using the money that he saves by not eating to help build a school in Sudan.

Jal’s actions and determination are the reason Smith believes this concert is the perfect event for these organizations – this is why they think the university will embrace Jal’s message.

“This is something that I can relate to,” Smith said. “This is politics. This is music. This is history.”

If You Go

What: Emmanuel Jal Concert

Where: Gusman Hall

When: Monday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6:45 p.m.

Cost: Free

www.warchildmovie.com

Ian Hest

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...