UM’s Kappa Sigma charter revoked by national organization

kappa_sigma_logo_smallThe Epsilon-Beta Kappa Sigma fraternity at the University of Miami is no longer a charted chapter of the organization, according to Mitchell Wilson, the executive director of Kappa Sigma. This punishment was in response to social and alcohol violations contrary to their code of conduct.

This decision was reached after members of this chapter went to San Antonio on Jan. 31 for a hearing. They have 30 days to appeal this decision.

If the appeal is successful then the charter could be given back to this chapter and would receive a lesser punishment.

However, if it fails then Kappa Sigma would leave campus and would not return until a date decided on between the University of Miami and the national Kappa Sigma organization.

“We will wait until the landscape has changed,” Wilson said. “It will be after everyone that is currently a member graduates so we can get a fresh start.”

This decision was made internally by the fraternity and the University of Miami was not involved according to Tony Lake, the associate dean of students.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...