UM’s Kappa Sigma charter revoked by national organization

kappa_sigma_logo_smallThe Epsilon-Beta Kappa Sigma fraternity at the University of Miami is no longer a charted chapter of the organization, according to Mitchell Wilson, the executive director of Kappa Sigma. This punishment was in response to social and alcohol violations contrary to their code of conduct.

This decision was reached after members of this chapter went to San Antonio on Jan. 31 for a hearing. They have 30 days to appeal this decision.

If the appeal is successful then the charter could be given back to this chapter and would receive a lesser punishment.

However, if it fails then Kappa Sigma would leave campus and would not return until a date decided on between the University of Miami and the national Kappa Sigma organization.

“We will wait until the landscape has changed,” Wilson said. “It will be after everyone that is currently a member graduates so we can get a fresh start.”

This decision was made internally by the fraternity and the University of Miami was not involved according to Tony Lake, the associate dean of students.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...