UM’s Kappa Sigma charter revoked by national organization

kappa_sigma_logo_smallThe Epsilon-Beta Kappa Sigma fraternity at the University of Miami is no longer a charted chapter of the organization, according to Mitchell Wilson, the executive director of Kappa Sigma. This punishment was in response to social and alcohol violations contrary to their code of conduct.

This decision was reached after members of this chapter went to San Antonio on Jan. 31 for a hearing. They have 30 days to appeal this decision.

If the appeal is successful then the charter could be given back to this chapter and would receive a lesser punishment.

However, if it fails then Kappa Sigma would leave campus and would not return until a date decided on between the University of Miami and the national Kappa Sigma organization.

“We will wait until the landscape has changed,” Wilson said. “It will be after everyone that is currently a member graduates so we can get a fresh start.”

This decision was made internally by the fraternity and the University of Miami was not involved according to Tony Lake, the associate dean of students.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...