UM grad receives Student Excellence Award from Southwestern Company

When Valerie Wasveiler was growing up, one of her best friends was the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Wasveiler, a 2008 University of Miami graduate, moved to South Florida from Caracas, Venezuela, when she was 10. She did not know one word of English when she arrived. But with hard work, dedication and determination, Wasveiler overcame the hardship and went on to achieve a lot of great things in life.

One of them was that Wasveiler was recently honored as the 2008 Student Excellence Award winner by the Southwestern Company, which markets family-oriented educational reference products through a sales force of several thousand students.

“I felt really honored and was in shock and disbelief,” Wasveiler said of the award. “To have the CEO and president by my side was awesome. There were four other students there and I was just glad to be nominated but to win the award was really emotional.”

Southwestern provides capital and training for young entrepreneurs and employs more than 3,000 college students each year to sell their products, which include educational books, reference books and CD-ROMs.  

Wasveiler’s dream was to attend UM. She worked on her English by studying the dictionary every night with her father after he came home from mowing lawns. She graduated from Miami Palmetto Senior High in 2004 and earned a full scholarship to UM.

Wasveiler’s business law teacher, Patricia Abril, raves about her former student’s infectious qualities and work ethic.

“[Valerie] was a very talented student,” Abril said. “She had a magnetic personality where people always wanted to be around her. She always rose to the occasion and had a relentless pursuit of success.”

Wasveiler walked onto the cross-country team her sophomore year. She practiced and trained with other runners,  but was unable to participate in races due to injury. The injury was a blessing in disguise because Wasveiler was able to intern at Southwestern.

That summer she rang door bells pitching her products to customers. If 28 doors slammed in her face, she knocked on the 29th. After three years of persistence and patience in Southwestern’s summer selling program, she made almost $38,000.

Wasveiler currently works as an educational consultant at Southwestern.

“I just want to keep inspiring people,” she said.

Justin Antweil

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...