Tougher standards follow raids in the Grove

Coconut Grove’s Boardwalk Tavern and Barracuda Raw Bar and Grill were raided last Friday. Both licensees were issued an official notice for selling or giving alcohol to persons under the age of 21, according to Kitrina Dean of the Office of Communication in the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

The Miami-Dade Police Department arrested six people within Boardwalk and two outside the premises. The people arrested outside were ticketed for underage possession.

The amount of people arrested at Barracuda was unavailable, but some people were arrested on charges related to fighting. Undercover officers from the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco had intended to enter the building but could not because of crowds and a fight.

To apologize for the inconvenience, Greg DeBolt, the general manager at Boardwalk, said he will take one dollar off pizza purchases for any University of Miami student that presents their valid identification showing they are 21. This deal will last until the end of the school year.

Tougher Standards

Underage college students will now find it harder to enter bars in Coconut Grove.

DeBolt says that they plan to use a card swiper at the door to make sure identification cards are valid. He also plans on hiring a company called Responsible Venders to teach his employees how to detect fake identifications.

Tavern is also increasing their emphasis on preventing underage drinking in their bar. Pedro Quiros, the general manager at Tavern, asks anyone with an identification card that has a “real” or “authentic” hologram to realize their identification will not work.

“Any ID that says ‘authentic’ or ‘real’ is a dead giveaway that it’s a fake. No state uses that as a hologram,” he said.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...