Thoughts on the Super Bowl

As soon as Ben Roethlisberger connected with Santonio Holmes for the Super Bowl-winning touchdown, it was obvious what was going to litter the airwaves the next day.

“Was this the greatest Super Bowl ever? Where does this one rank among the other great games?”

Listen people, not only is this not the greatest Super Bowl ever, it isn’t even the best in the last 365 days. Just to quantify this, I am not a Giants fan.

It’s amazing how short our memories are. Just because the game was a lot better than everyone anticipated, don’t blow it out of proportion.

At least an exciting game made it worthwhile for the thousands of Pittsburgh fans in attendance and the seven Cardinals fans who managed to make the trip.

While the game was certainly entertaining, the commercials seemed to lack their usual appeal. A few were funny, but most seemed like an average commercial. They were missing their usual star power and humor.

The price of commercials isn’t the only financial news coming out of the Super Bowl this year. Bank of America is taking a lot of heat for spending some of their $45 billion taxpayer bailout to sponsor the fan festival that accompanies the game.

I can’t blame people for being upset. First they give bad loans and ask for forgiveness from the government, then they get a huge check and give some of it to football, a sport where the only people making more than the players are the owners. To top it off, they charge people nearly $20 to get in.

If you’re taking our tax dollars and using it to pay for this, the least you could do is let people in for free. The last time I checked, city parks and public schools were free. Why make us pay twice? Probably because you messed up and need the little money you left us to keep from going under.

However, there is a lesson for our economy to take away from this year’s Super Bowl: If Ben Roethlisberger can come back from reckless driving and crashing his motorcycle into a bus to win the Super Bowl, then anything is possible.

Maybe our economy, with enough rehab and practice, can rise to glory after some reckless lending and crashing directly into a wall (Wall Street, that is). Even if just makes it back to the playoffs, we’d be happy. At least it’s a start.

Matt Mullin

Contributing Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...