Thoughts on the Super Bowl

As soon as Ben Roethlisberger connected with Santonio Holmes for the Super Bowl-winning touchdown, it was obvious what was going to litter the airwaves the next day.

“Was this the greatest Super Bowl ever? Where does this one rank among the other great games?”

Listen people, not only is this not the greatest Super Bowl ever, it isn’t even the best in the last 365 days. Just to quantify this, I am not a Giants fan.

It’s amazing how short our memories are. Just because the game was a lot better than everyone anticipated, don’t blow it out of proportion.

At least an exciting game made it worthwhile for the thousands of Pittsburgh fans in attendance and the seven Cardinals fans who managed to make the trip.

While the game was certainly entertaining, the commercials seemed to lack their usual appeal. A few were funny, but most seemed like an average commercial. They were missing their usual star power and humor.

The price of commercials isn’t the only financial news coming out of the Super Bowl this year. Bank of America is taking a lot of heat for spending some of their $45 billion taxpayer bailout to sponsor the fan festival that accompanies the game.

I can’t blame people for being upset. First they give bad loans and ask for forgiveness from the government, then they get a huge check and give some of it to football, a sport where the only people making more than the players are the owners. To top it off, they charge people nearly $20 to get in.

If you’re taking our tax dollars and using it to pay for this, the least you could do is let people in for free. The last time I checked, city parks and public schools were free. Why make us pay twice? Probably because you messed up and need the little money you left us to keep from going under.

However, there is a lesson for our economy to take away from this year’s Super Bowl: If Ben Roethlisberger can come back from reckless driving and crashing his motorcycle into a bus to win the Super Bowl, then anything is possible.

Maybe our economy, with enough rehab and practice, can rise to glory after some reckless lending and crashing directly into a wall (Wall Street, that is). Even if just makes it back to the playoffs, we’d be happy. At least it’s a start.

Matt Mullin

Contributing Writer

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...