Thoughts on the Super Bowl

As soon as Ben Roethlisberger connected with Santonio Holmes for the Super Bowl-winning touchdown, it was obvious what was going to litter the airwaves the next day.

“Was this the greatest Super Bowl ever? Where does this one rank among the other great games?”

Listen people, not only is this not the greatest Super Bowl ever, it isn’t even the best in the last 365 days. Just to quantify this, I am not a Giants fan.

It’s amazing how short our memories are. Just because the game was a lot better than everyone anticipated, don’t blow it out of proportion.

At least an exciting game made it worthwhile for the thousands of Pittsburgh fans in attendance and the seven Cardinals fans who managed to make the trip.

While the game was certainly entertaining, the commercials seemed to lack their usual appeal. A few were funny, but most seemed like an average commercial. They were missing their usual star power and humor.

The price of commercials isn’t the only financial news coming out of the Super Bowl this year. Bank of America is taking a lot of heat for spending some of their $45 billion taxpayer bailout to sponsor the fan festival that accompanies the game.

I can’t blame people for being upset. First they give bad loans and ask for forgiveness from the government, then they get a huge check and give some of it to football, a sport where the only people making more than the players are the owners. To top it off, they charge people nearly $20 to get in.

If you’re taking our tax dollars and using it to pay for this, the least you could do is let people in for free. The last time I checked, city parks and public schools were free. Why make us pay twice? Probably because you messed up and need the little money you left us to keep from going under.

However, there is a lesson for our economy to take away from this year’s Super Bowl: If Ben Roethlisberger can come back from reckless driving and crashing his motorcycle into a bus to win the Super Bowl, then anything is possible.

Maybe our economy, with enough rehab and practice, can rise to glory after some reckless lending and crashing directly into a wall (Wall Street, that is). Even if just makes it back to the playoffs, we’d be happy. At least it’s a start.

Matt Mullin

Contributing Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...