Students react to closing of Juicy Campus

After a year and a half of facilitating co-ed gossip, the cyber rumormonger Juicy Campus announced yesterday that it will officially go out of business today.

The Web site allowed college students from over 500 campuses nationwide to anonymously post rumors and discuss the private lives of others. Matt Ivester, founder and CEO of Juicy Campus, said that a lack of online ad revenue and venture capital is what caused the demise of the site.

“Unfortunately, even with great traffic and strong user loyalty, a business can’t survive and grow without a steady stream of revenue to support it,” Ivester wrote in an open letter sent via e-mail yesterday. “In these historically difficult economic times, online ad revenue has plummeted and venture capital funding has dissolved. Juicy Campus’ exponential growth outpaced our ability to muster the resources needed to survive this economic downturn, and as a result, we are closing down the site as of Feb. 5, 2009.”

Ivester thanked those who participated in “meaningful discussion about online privacy and internet censorship,” issues that stirred up controversy while the site was active.

When word of the site’s closing reached the University of Miami, student reactions were mixed.

“It’s good that it closed because a lot of things that were said were wrong and a lot of them were lies,” senior Isabelle Beulaygue said.

Kelly Killian, a freshman, had visited Juicy Campus once, but was unimpressed.

“It seemed disrespectful and not a positive reflection of our campus and its students,” Killian said.

Other students were less familiar with the site, including law student Melissa Esposito, who said she “had no idea what it was.”

“I thought [Juicy Campus] was mostly Greek, with sororities and fraternities involved in it,” junior Carlos Alvarez said.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...