Our opinion: Discourse between students, teachers will create better courses

Class. It’s that thing that takes up your time between drinking and sleeping, we know. Whether it’s that intro class that you think is simply a waste of time or that last requirement of your major with that professor that you HATE, class gets a bad rap around most college campuses.

That’s why we were so excited to hear about a new offering – or a reprisal of an old offering – featuring a collaboration of professors which focuses on the 1960s. A turbulent time period rife for discussion and debate is precisely the kind of thing that keeps college campuses buzzing.

The most encouraging thing, though? It’s a class that was revived by the efforts of professors who care and student evaluations that really said something. It wasn’t the Academic Bulletin that said it had to be there, it was the people involved who saw a void and filled it. It took five years and some retooling to get back together (which stinks for the class of 2009), but come this fall, “The Sixties” are going to be hot once again at Miami.

Far too often, we students view class as an obstacle, an impediment to actual college enjoyment. What we forget is that for hundreds of millions around the world, the idea of an American secondary education is the loftiest of dreams. And it’s classes like this one which make it so.

So to students and professors of UM, here’s your homework. Think of a class that you’d like to see. Maybe it’s a collaborative effort, maybe it’s the resources of one professor who’s stuck teaching what they have to and not what they want to. Maybe it’s for a semester or maybe it’s just for one night. But the best learning, the lessons we remember for the rest of our lives, is done through a collaborative effort between teacher and student. And when “The Sixties” rolls around next fall, we’re all going to see the power that combination can hold.

Editorial Board

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...