‘He’s Just Not That Into You’ just not that good

hes-just-not-that-into-you-high-res-colorHe’s Just Not That Into You hates women.

It’s a loaded statement, but it’s true. Based on the book meant to help women decipher men’s mixed messages (most of them being that they are really not that into you), the cinematic version, in theaters this Friday, is full of unsympathetic characters and underdeveloped story lines. This is not the postmodern feminist manifesto it aspires to be.

The women in this film are broad stereotypes and one imagines that female audience members are supposed to choose one with whom they can identify. Have two x-chromosomes? You can either be the pathetic aggressor (Ginnifer Goodwin) who can’t take a hint, the shrill harpy (Jennifer Connelly) who terrifies her husband, the nag (Jennifer Aniston) or the home-wrecking seductress (Scarlett Johansson) who doesn’t care about the marriage she helps destroy. Each attempt at character development reads like a laundry list of what women, as a whole, are doing wrong. According to the film, there’s a lot.

The men, though certainly no better, are treated with a “boys will be boys” attitude and only Ben Affleck’s patient boyfriend emerges intact from the wreckage of this failed film. His major character flaw? He’s afraid to commit. That’s better than Kevin Connolly’s oblivious real estate agent character, or Bradley Cooper’s despicable adulterous husband persona.

The acting is fine nearly across the board (Johansson and Aniston, true to form, keep it from attaining a perfect score) and, for once, Baltimore is very attractive, but it’s just not a very good movie. It’s hard to elicit sympathy for any of these characters and the film is almost painful when women notice bits of their own behavior onscreen. A two-hour-long, introspective look at one’s own relationship-related faults and flaws, this supposed romantic comedy is neither romantic nor very funny. The book is a modern classic; the sooner the film version is forgotten, the better. The major theme of the film seems to be “love hurts,” and you know what? Love Actually did it better.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...