Franz Ferdinand fails to match standard with ‘Tonight’

After a long absence from the music scene, Franz Ferdinand is back with Tonight, the band’s third studio album. While it, like the group’s second disc, fails to reach the epic standards of “Take Me Out” off their 2004 self-titled debut, Tonight is danceable, sexy, and subtle. This album has a deliberate, less frenetic sound, but it’s not all that catchy.

The Scottish quartet’s return after five years is certainly welcome even if they can’t achieve the happy balance between dance and rock that they did on their premiere album. “No You Girls” (recently featured on “Gossip Girl”) comes closest to the stomping pleasure of “Take Me Out,” but it isn’t really a worthy successor. In fact, all of Franz Ferdinand’s songs sound similar on Tonight and it becomes difficult to discern one song from another. Highlights include the unrepentantly romantic “Katherine Kiss Me” and the understated “Twilight Omens,” easily Tonight‘s best song.

With the amount of time between releases, listeners might have expected something better than the final product. That isn’t to say that Tonight is a disappointment overall, but no song leaves a lasting impression.

Rating: 2.5/4

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...