Basketball

Canes upset Demon Deacons, win big, 79-52

ALEX BROADWELL // HURRICANE STAFF

ALEX BROADWELL // HURRICANE STAFF

Under the guidance of senior guard Jack McClinton, the Miami Hurricanes are finally back in the win column after defeating sixth-ranked Wake Forest, 79-52.

The Canes (15-7, 4-5) ended their three-game skid, which included two overtimes losses, and rejuvenated their quest to return to the NCAA tournament.

“No question, we brought it tonight,” head coach Frank Haith said. “It was a great win for us. We lost three in a row. We needed a win.”

Miami held the Demon Deacons (17-3, 4-3) to a season-low 52 points and led by as many as 27 points. During Haith’s five seasons at the helm, the Hurricanes have defeated eight ranked opponents at home.

“We caught them on a wrong night,” Haith said. “We rebounded the ball and played defense. I thought our effort was tremendous.”

McClinton finished with a season-high 32 points on 11-of-19 shooting and made six 3-pointers.

He passed Guillermo Diaz (2003-06) and Johnny Hemsley (1996-00) to move into ninth place on UM’s all-time scoring list. He also notched his sixth career 30-point game.

“I wanted to do anything I could,” McClinton said. “I think this was one of best 40-minute games of the year. It was one of our most complete games. Today it showed.”

Even Wake Forest head coach Dino Gaudio called McClinton’s performance one of the best he has seen in years.

“I think McClinton had one of the best games in years,” Gaudio said. “One of the best performances in the eight years I have been in the ACC.”

After leading 29-26 going into halftime, the Hurricanes opened the final 20 minutes on a 26-8 run. Redshirt junior forward Adrian Thomas hit a 3-pointer to give Miami a 20-point cushion at 54-34, before McClinton gave the Canes their biggest lead of the game after scoring 14 straight points to boost the lead to 76-50.

“Jack was great. We needed that from him,” Haith said. “We made some shots. Our defense was a key. We did a great job.”

Out of the gate, the Hurricanes started slow. With 16:02 left in the first half, Thomas hit a 3-pointer to give the team its first points.

Thomas tied a career-high with 14 points, but most of his damage came in the first half with 11 points.

“It felt pretty good,” Thomas said. “I have just kept practicing and it’s showing.”

Haith talked Tuesday about how this year’s team has been lacking a player who comes off the bench to spark play and the team’s inability to block shots. Coming into the game, the Canes were last in the ACC with 4.0 blocks a game. The Canes finished with nine blocks, four coming from senior forward Jimmy Graham, and 25 points off the bench.

“Our bench was productive,” Haith said. “We played with intensity.”

Miami travels to Durham, N.C. to take on third-ranked Duke (19-3, 6-2) at 1:30 p.m. Saturday.

Lelan LeDoux

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

The Hurricanes' deep and talented receiving corps put on a show Saturday against Bethune-Cookma ...

Miami opens conference action Saturday against Virginia Tech. ...