Blast from the past: ‘The Sixties’ to return in Fall 2009

After five years, University of Miami professors Don Spivey, Tim Watson and David Wilson are reopening “The Sixties,” a course devoted to teaching students about this time period by inviting faculty members to share their personal experiences or expertise.

The course was first offered in the fall semester of 2002 by Spivey, a history professor, and English professor Zack Bowen. Positive student evaluations brought the class back in the fall semester of 2004.

However, Bowen retired in 2007, and Spivey did not want to organize the class alone. With the help of Watson and Wilson, new plans for the class in the fall semester of 2009 went into action.

“We all love Zack [Bowen] but he didn’t run the ’60s,” Spivey said.

Unlike most classes at UM that end their semester with a final exam, “The Sixties” had a faculty and student performance of music from the time period. Spivey plans to continue that tradition in 2009 and is already in contact with most of the original band members.

In 2004, 48 faculty members took part in the panels and discussions held during class. Even President Donna E. Shalala attended to share her Peace Corps stories with the students. Spivey has already received about 350 response emails from former and new volunteers for the upcoming class.

This year there are plans to restructure the format of the course by adding expertise from faculty members who were not directly involved in the time period. The aim is to increase the amount of younger volunteers so the program will be able to continue in the future.

“This is the only course at the university that represents every school and department at the university,” Spivey said.

The Fall 2009 course is expected be offered Tuesdays from 6:25-9:05 pm.

Elle Hebel

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...