Sports Briefs

SWIMMING/DIVING

Miami picked up 22 top-three times on Saturday as the Hurricanes defeated Florida International 152-79 at the Bay Vista Aquatics Complex in Miami, Fla.

In the final dual race of the season before the ACC Championships in late February, the Canes (10-7) finished with their best record since combining the men’s and women’s programs.

Junior Brittany Viola took the three-meter diving event, while senior Jenna Dreyer won the one-meter springboard in her first action since Oct. 25 at Duke.

UM swept the 200 freestyle, 200 individual medley and 100 butterfly. In team spots, the Hurricanes posted top times in the 200 medley relay and 200 freestlyle relay. Freshman Ryann Labreche finished first in both the 200 and 500 freestyles.

The Canes improved to 9-0 all-time against the Panthers (2-9).

SOCCER

University of Miami freshman goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo was named to the Soccer Buzz Third-Team Freshman All-American squad and sophomore defender Brittney Macdonald earned a spot on the All-Southeast Third-Team.

Alonzo also made it on the Southeast All-Freshman Team after recording a school-record 11 shutouts, shattering the previous record of six. She already ranks first in school history in single-season saves (114), goals-against-average (0.88) and minutes in goal (2,055).

Macdonald was an integral part of Alonzo’s record-setting season and was named to the Soccer Buzz Elite Team of the Week in week 10.

BASEBALL

The Hurricane Club will host a “Dinner on the Diamond” at 6 p.m. on Feb. 13 at Mark Light Field as part of a dedication to the opening of the renovated park and annual preseason festivities.

New York Yankees third baseman and 11-time Major League All-Star Alex Rodriguez, UM athletic director Kirby Hocutt, head coach Jim Morris, Boston Red Sox scout Laz Gutierrez and the entire 2009 Hurricanes team will be there.

Ticket prices are $75 per person and checks can be made payable to the University of Miami Department of Athletics. For more information, contact Stephanie Mansdorf at 305-284-5240 or smansdorf@miami.edu.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...