Restaurant Review: The Original Daily Bread Market

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Traveling to the Middle East can be complicated these days, but a stop at the Original Daily Bread Market on the corner of US-1 and 24th Avenue will satisfy a craving for the exotic with a perfectly harmonious tour of the other side of the world’s cuisine.

Middle Eastern archways adorn the entrance of this market/restaurant/bakery that showcases food, kitchenware, hookahs, music and even brightly colored traditional clothing from Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

Start a meal with a bag of homemade fresh pita ($1.75), a soft, pillowy bread that is great for scooping up the delicious appetizers or mezzes, which range from $.50 for a side order of yogurt to $6.50 for stuffed grape leaves. The baba ghanoush, made with roasted eggplant and tahini (sesame seed paste), and the lentil pilaf were both first-rate.

Perfectly cooked falafel and gyro sandwiches – large, fresh, and filling – range from $4.50 to $5.95, but try the platters for a more comprehensive meal. The sweet Lamb Kafta Kabob platter ($7.95) is served with a nice combination of hummus, tabouli, pita bread and a simple green salad that comes alive with a delicious lemon mint dressing. The hummus (the Arabic word for chickpea) was smooth and savory, and the tabouli – a tart parsley, bulgur and tomato salad – was impeccably fresh. The lentil soup ($1.75) was also substantial, with a savory and intriguing mix of herbs.

Any of the baklava will make for a delightful ending. Individual pieces can be purchased at the desert counter for $1.50 or customers can opt for the take-home trays with assorted pieces, which range from $12 to $32.

Customers can also get equally flavorful, inexpensive food on-the-go at the market, which occupies a third of the venue. The spinach pies ($4.50) and the 8 oz. containers of hummus, tabouli, baba ghanoush and grape leaves ($3.25) are easy to stock in dorm fridges. The sesame sticks ($3.95) are a great snack and the bags of dried fruits, peaches, papaya, crystallized ginger, apricots, and pineapple taste delicious with the feta cheese and Armenian string cheese. Strawberries in light syrup ($3.75), rose hip marmalade ($3.50), and delicious marmalade from figs ($6.50) are also wonderful treats.

Original Daily Bread Marketplace

Middle Eastern and Greek cuisine

Mon-Sat 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Sun 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

2400 SW 27th St.

305-856-0363 / 305-856-0366

Juliana Accioly

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...