Restaurant Review: The Original Daily Bread Market

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Traveling to the Middle East can be complicated these days, but a stop at the Original Daily Bread Market on the corner of US-1 and 24th Avenue will satisfy a craving for the exotic with a perfectly harmonious tour of the other side of the world’s cuisine.

Middle Eastern archways adorn the entrance of this market/restaurant/bakery that showcases food, kitchenware, hookahs, music and even brightly colored traditional clothing from Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

Start a meal with a bag of homemade fresh pita ($1.75), a soft, pillowy bread that is great for scooping up the delicious appetizers or mezzes, which range from $.50 for a side order of yogurt to $6.50 for stuffed grape leaves. The baba ghanoush, made with roasted eggplant and tahini (sesame seed paste), and the lentil pilaf were both first-rate.

Perfectly cooked falafel and gyro sandwiches – large, fresh, and filling – range from $4.50 to $5.95, but try the platters for a more comprehensive meal. The sweet Lamb Kafta Kabob platter ($7.95) is served with a nice combination of hummus, tabouli, pita bread and a simple green salad that comes alive with a delicious lemon mint dressing. The hummus (the Arabic word for chickpea) was smooth and savory, and the tabouli – a tart parsley, bulgur and tomato salad – was impeccably fresh. The lentil soup ($1.75) was also substantial, with a savory and intriguing mix of herbs.

Any of the baklava will make for a delightful ending. Individual pieces can be purchased at the desert counter for $1.50 or customers can opt for the take-home trays with assorted pieces, which range from $12 to $32.

Customers can also get equally flavorful, inexpensive food on-the-go at the market, which occupies a third of the venue. The spinach pies ($4.50) and the 8 oz. containers of hummus, tabouli, baba ghanoush and grape leaves ($3.25) are easy to stock in dorm fridges. The sesame sticks ($3.95) are a great snack and the bags of dried fruits, peaches, papaya, crystallized ginger, apricots, and pineapple taste delicious with the feta cheese and Armenian string cheese. Strawberries in light syrup ($3.75), rose hip marmalade ($3.50), and delicious marmalade from figs ($6.50) are also wonderful treats.

Original Daily Bread Marketplace

Middle Eastern and Greek cuisine

Mon-Sat 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Sun 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

2400 SW 27th St.

305-856-0363 / 305-856-0366

Juliana Accioly

Contributing EDGE Writer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...