Restaurant Review: The Original Daily Bread Market

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Traveling to the Middle East can be complicated these days, but a stop at the Original Daily Bread Market on the corner of US-1 and 24th Avenue will satisfy a craving for the exotic with a perfectly harmonious tour of the other side of the world’s cuisine.

Middle Eastern archways adorn the entrance of this market/restaurant/bakery that showcases food, kitchenware, hookahs, music and even brightly colored traditional clothing from Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

Start a meal with a bag of homemade fresh pita ($1.75), a soft, pillowy bread that is great for scooping up the delicious appetizers or mezzes, which range from $.50 for a side order of yogurt to $6.50 for stuffed grape leaves. The baba ghanoush, made with roasted eggplant and tahini (sesame seed paste), and the lentil pilaf were both first-rate.

Perfectly cooked falafel and gyro sandwiches – large, fresh, and filling – range from $4.50 to $5.95, but try the platters for a more comprehensive meal. The sweet Lamb Kafta Kabob platter ($7.95) is served with a nice combination of hummus, tabouli, pita bread and a simple green salad that comes alive with a delicious lemon mint dressing. The hummus (the Arabic word for chickpea) was smooth and savory, and the tabouli – a tart parsley, bulgur and tomato salad – was impeccably fresh. The lentil soup ($1.75) was also substantial, with a savory and intriguing mix of herbs.

Any of the baklava will make for a delightful ending. Individual pieces can be purchased at the desert counter for $1.50 or customers can opt for the take-home trays with assorted pieces, which range from $12 to $32.

Customers can also get equally flavorful, inexpensive food on-the-go at the market, which occupies a third of the venue. The spinach pies ($4.50) and the 8 oz. containers of hummus, tabouli, baba ghanoush and grape leaves ($3.25) are easy to stock in dorm fridges. The sesame sticks ($3.95) are a great snack and the bags of dried fruits, peaches, papaya, crystallized ginger, apricots, and pineapple taste delicious with the feta cheese and Armenian string cheese. Strawberries in light syrup ($3.75), rose hip marmalade ($3.50), and delicious marmalade from figs ($6.50) are also wonderful treats.

Original Daily Bread Marketplace

Middle Eastern and Greek cuisine

Mon-Sat 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Sun 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

2400 SW 27th St.

305-856-0363 / 305-856-0366

Juliana Accioly

Contributing EDGE Writer

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...