Remembering John Updike (1932-2009)

The summer I turned 18 I bought a Penguin paperback edition of John Updike’s novel Rabbit, Run in the back of small antique bookstore in Copenhagen, where I used to go after school. It was unlike anything I had ever read before; the prose was like poetry, demanding to be read aloud.

After the summer I came back to look for more of his books – Roger’s Version, Couples, Marry Me. Over the years he has been with me wherever I’ve studied and occupied my time, whether my dorm room in Canterbury, my father’s old apartment in Copenhagen or Miami, of course. Even at a small restaurant in Munich I remember being hunched over his collected poems.

John Updike’s death last week of lung cancer at the age of 76 affected me deeply. As a reader, my relationship to him was sometimes ambivalent but always alive. His overwhelming literary output inevitably led to novelistic failures, yet when he succeeded (as he often did) he succeeded with the force and beauty that made him the English language’s most brilliant contemporary stylist. As a writer, nothing escaped his vast and generous scope. His frequent contributions to The New Yorker, whether poetry, essays or criticism, seemed a necessity for sustaining life, like rays of sunlight.

Now that he is gone, we console ourselves at the thought of the countless books he has left behind, the many other writers whose work he has influenced. But without him the world seems smaller, poorer. A great mind has left us. I miss him already.

Morten Hoi Jensen

Contributing Opinion Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...