Remembering John Updike (1932-2009)

The summer I turned 18 I bought a Penguin paperback edition of John Updike’s novel Rabbit, Run in the back of small antique bookstore in Copenhagen, where I used to go after school. It was unlike anything I had ever read before; the prose was like poetry, demanding to be read aloud.

After the summer I came back to look for more of his books – Roger’s Version, Couples, Marry Me. Over the years he has been with me wherever I’ve studied and occupied my time, whether my dorm room in Canterbury, my father’s old apartment in Copenhagen or Miami, of course. Even at a small restaurant in Munich I remember being hunched over his collected poems.

John Updike’s death last week of lung cancer at the age of 76 affected me deeply. As a reader, my relationship to him was sometimes ambivalent but always alive. His overwhelming literary output inevitably led to novelistic failures, yet when he succeeded (as he often did) he succeeded with the force and beauty that made him the English language’s most brilliant contemporary stylist. As a writer, nothing escaped his vast and generous scope. His frequent contributions to The New Yorker, whether poetry, essays or criticism, seemed a necessity for sustaining life, like rays of sunlight.

Now that he is gone, we console ourselves at the thought of the countless books he has left behind, the many other writers whose work he has influenced. But without him the world seems smaller, poorer. A great mind has left us. I miss him already.

Morten Hoi Jensen

Contributing Opinion Writer

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...