Our opinion: Add diversity of opinions to ‘Gang of Three’

If you haven’t heard by now (news, pg. 3), a group of three has come together to micromanage financial requests from student groups, individual programs, etc. 

While it’s certainly a good idea to tighten the belts around here (see the cover), it might have behooved those that founded the group to think a little more about the membership of it.

The three deciders are LeBlanc, someone whose job is to be aware of the long-term plans of the university; Joseph Natoli, the senior VP of the Division of Business and Finance; and Dean Pascal Goldschmidt, the senior VP of Medical Affairs.

We need to ask questions like, why are there only three members, and more importantly, why have we chosen these three to essentially save us money?

Natoli is clearly a logical and well-qualified choice for the board. LeBlanc is the “big-picture” guy, so it makes sense for him to make sure that there’s enough money to paint that portrait down the road. But why is Dean Goldschmidt there? Let us rephrase. Why is only Dean Goldschmidt there?

A dean representative is a great way to include academics in the discussion of financial matters which will impact their teaching and research. But isn’t it a little unfair that only Goldschmidt gets a say? What do we propose? A fourth member, with the position rotating among the other deans of the university. We know that UM’s medical program is the cash cow, but let’s level the playing field.

And what of the students themselves? The money is ultimately spent on the well-being of students at UM, but these decisions are made far away from their purview. While we’re adding a member, let’s add two. A non-voting student representative would consult the board and add the students’ perspective to the spending.

The relationship between administrators and students, like any relationship, takes time to build. Trust must be equally traded in order to gain results, in this case, proper monetary allocation.

The students want a voice and every aspect of the university should incorporate that voice.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...