Tennis

Canes qualify for National Indoors with pair of victories

TANYA THOMPSON // HURRICANE STAFF.

TANYA THOMPSON // HURRICANE STAFF.

Ranked opponents, same results.

The 13th-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team disposed of 47th-ranked Utah 7-0 and 23rd-ranked Tennessee 5-2 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center over the weekend to qualify for the ITA National Indoor Championships in Madison, Wis., starting on Feb. 12.

Eighth-ranked sophomore Julia Cohen, junior Laura Vallverdu and 50th-ranked sophomore Michaela Kissell each earned a pair of victories in singles play and improved to 5-0 on the 2009 season.

“We’ve got probably one of the best 1-2-3-4’s in the country,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “It’s a tough and deep lineup. If we’re looking to go pretty far this season and end up potentially top-five in the country, this is what we’re going to have to do.”

Kissell, who played in the third position, lost just one game in two matches and has won in two sets in every competition this year.

“Michaela is playing really aggressive tennis, which is her style. She’s keeping her focus and composure and matured a lot as a player,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Because of that the results are what they are. She’s proven that she’s one of the best players in the country.”

14th-ranked duo Kissell and sophomore Bianca Eichkorn secured the doubles point early on in a come-from-behind win against the Volunteers (3-1).

“You don’t have many days where you feel everything is working. Today was one of those good days for me,” Kissell said. “I was just really focused in and tried to play my best and today it worked out for me.”

In the opening round, the Hurricanes (5-0) cruised past the Utes (1-3) by taking each match in two sets.

“We’re where we want to be,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We need to get a little more consistency at the bottom of the lineup, but the team’s healthy and they’re playing and competing hard.”

The 22nd-ranked men’s tennis team bounced back from a 2-0 deficit to beat 46th-ranked Denver, 5-2, Sunday afternoon in the consolation round of the ITA Kickoff Classic at Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif.

After the Pioneers (2-2) took a 2-0 lead off the doubles point and Martin Zimmerman’s win in the first position, junior Hector Nieto picked up a 6-4, 6-2 straight-sets victory in the sixth position in his 2009 debut.

Sophomores Keith Crowley and 96th-ranked Carl Sundberg both won in two sets, while freshman Ignacio Taboada and junior transfer David Simon rounded off the five-straight singles wins for the Hurricanes.

On Saturday, 24th-ranked Alabama (2-0) defeated the Canes 4-0 by wrapping up the doubles point and three straight-sets singles matches.

Miami (2-2) hosts 60th-ranked Clemson (2-2) in the ACC opener at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...