Beauty and the Noble ‘Beast’

Chicago native Andrew Bird’s sound is hard to define. He draws from a broad range of genres, from classical to experimental and folk, with hints of jazz and intelligent pop. With his newest solo album Noble Beast, the guitar playing, whistling, singing violin virtuoso produces sounds that are sparser and less structured than his two previous albums, 2005’s The Mysterious Production of Eggs and 2007’s Armchair Apocrypha.

His style has become increasingly looser, leaving open spaces that draw close parallels to his lyrics: eccentric and random, yet beautiful and at times exceptionally realistic and accessible.

Not many singer/songwriters have the SAT-acing vocabulary that Bird presents on the album’s fifth track “Tenuousness,” where he croons, “from proto-Sanskrit Minoans to porto-centric Lisboans/Greek Cypriots and Hobis-hots/who hang around in ports a lot.” As catchy as the lyrics are with Bird’s melody and violin plucking in the background, most listeners cannot possibly relate to the far-fetched workings of Andrew Bird’s mind. While one would think the oddities in his lyrics would drive listeners away, he draws them closer with his keen sense of sensitivity in the electronically looped, simplicity of his musical phrases.

Though Noble Beast has its flaws – including an obviously stronger first half, a missing focal point, and a sense of seclusion in the lyrics – Andrew Bird still writes material that is original and brilliant, and that brings the beauty to his Beast.

2.5 out of 4 stars

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...