‘Comcast Newsmakers’ tapes episodes at UC patio for March airing

The UC Rock was turned into a television set Wednesday as Comcast Newsmakers ventured outside their studio to visit the University of Miami.

Due to construction on the program’s regular studio, Newsmakers has ventured to notable locations in the South Florida community, including the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood and UM.

“We wanted to pick somewhere that reflected South Florida, and when we saw that [Cobb] fountain, we knew that was it,” host Spero Canton said after taping.

The show, which airs at :26 and :56 past the hour on Headline News (channel 29 on campus), features local personalities, ranging from an American Gladiator to Susan Kaufman Purcell, director of UM’s Center for Hemispheric Policy, who spoke with Canton about the economic downturn’s impact on Latin America. Newsmakers taped 26 episodes of the show in one day.

“I got here at 8:30 a.m., and we just wrapped at 5 p.m.” Canton said. “Whenever we got hot during the day, we just looked to the left and saw the pool, and that just cooled us down.”

Canton is a Miami local who has fond memories of UM, despite attending the University of Georgia.

“I remember when I was in Cub Scouts, I used to go to University of Miami games at the Orange Bowl and baseball games at Mark Light,” Canton said.
Episodes of Newsmakers taped at UM can be viewed during the month of March.

Matthew Bunch

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...