‘Comcast Newsmakers’ tapes episodes at UC patio for March airing

The UC Rock was turned into a television set Wednesday as Comcast Newsmakers ventured outside their studio to visit the University of Miami.

Due to construction on the program’s regular studio, Newsmakers has ventured to notable locations in the South Florida community, including the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood and UM.

“We wanted to pick somewhere that reflected South Florida, and when we saw that [Cobb] fountain, we knew that was it,” host Spero Canton said after taping.

The show, which airs at :26 and :56 past the hour on Headline News (channel 29 on campus), features local personalities, ranging from an American Gladiator to Susan Kaufman Purcell, director of UM’s Center for Hemispheric Policy, who spoke with Canton about the economic downturn’s impact on Latin America. Newsmakers taped 26 episodes of the show in one day.

“I got here at 8:30 a.m., and we just wrapped at 5 p.m.” Canton said. “Whenever we got hot during the day, we just looked to the left and saw the pool, and that just cooled us down.”

Canton is a Miami local who has fond memories of UM, despite attending the University of Georgia.

“I remember when I was in Cub Scouts, I used to go to University of Miami games at the Orange Bowl and baseball games at Mark Light,” Canton said.
Episodes of Newsmakers taped at UM can be viewed during the month of March.

Matthew Bunch

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...