Our opinion: Administration’s expectations of graduate students unfair

Kick out the grad students. Let them fend for themselves.

So if you’ve browsed through the news section today, or if you’re a graduate student, there’s no doubt you’ve heard of the new plan for the University Village.

No longer will graduate students be allowed to live there. A comment by vice president for Student Affairs, Patricia A. Whitely, claimed that graduate students are more capable of finding off-campus housing than undergraduates.

Let that sit for a moment.

Without any further context, it seems as though because of a simple age difference and higher level of education, grads have an easier time surfing Craigslist, contacting realtors and closing rental deals.

But maybe the average grad student is financially independent. Maybe that’s what gives them the edge. Although I doubt there is any truth behind that statement, economic times are rough, and balancing a full-time job with a full-time education can be just as daunting as dealing with loans and financial aid.

One proposed solution for the disposal of the graduates focuses on the new Red Road Commons, located just across the street from the University Village. The cost of a one-bedroom apartment just across the street from UV is literally double the price.

The politics of the situation might sound nice and pretty for incoming undergraduates, but come July, will UM help these essentially homeless graduate students?

Not that additional subsidies from the university are in the question these days, but if graduates are feeling cheated, maybe the school should pay the difference between the price of UV living and the price of living at the Commons.

Certainly something to think about.

Editorial Board

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...