Our opinion: Administration’s expectations of graduate students unfair

Kick out the grad students. Let them fend for themselves.

So if you’ve browsed through the news section today, or if you’re a graduate student, there’s no doubt you’ve heard of the new plan for the University Village.

No longer will graduate students be allowed to live there. A comment by vice president for Student Affairs, Patricia A. Whitely, claimed that graduate students are more capable of finding off-campus housing than undergraduates.

Let that sit for a moment.

Without any further context, it seems as though because of a simple age difference and higher level of education, grads have an easier time surfing Craigslist, contacting realtors and closing rental deals.

But maybe the average grad student is financially independent. Maybe that’s what gives them the edge. Although I doubt there is any truth behind that statement, economic times are rough, and balancing a full-time job with a full-time education can be just as daunting as dealing with loans and financial aid.

One proposed solution for the disposal of the graduates focuses on the new Red Road Commons, located just across the street from the University Village. The cost of a one-bedroom apartment just across the street from UV is literally double the price.

The politics of the situation might sound nice and pretty for incoming undergraduates, but come July, will UM help these essentially homeless graduate students?

Not that additional subsidies from the university are in the question these days, but if graduates are feeling cheated, maybe the school should pay the difference between the price of UV living and the price of living at the Commons.

Certainly something to think about.

Editorial Board

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...