Tennis

Canes continue to roll, win 6-1

FILE PHOTO // BILLY GILBERT

FILE PHOTO // BILLY GILBERT

It took the very last singles match of Wednesday afternoon for the 13th-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team to finally lose its first point of the young season.

Luckily everything else went the Hurricanes’ way against No. 53 Florida International in a 6-1 victory at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Miami (3-0) took five of the six singles matches as well as the doubles point.

Junior two-time All-American Laura Vallverdu easily disposed of her opponent in the second position, 6-1, 6-0, while eighth-ranked sophomore Julia Cohen battled back from an early first-set deficit to win in straight-sets, 6-4, 6-0.

In the sixth position, freshman Alessa Waibel won in her debut, finishing on a come-from-behind three-set win, 5-7, 6-3, 11-9. Junior Claudia Wasilewski and 50th-ranked sophomore Michaela Kissell each took care of business in two sets.

“I think it was a great test for the girls, definitely our strongest opponent thus far,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I think we responded in a positive way. They played well at most of their positions and overall it was a good day for our girls.”

In doubles, the tandem of Cohen and Vallverdu overcame a 3-2 disadvantage and held off a late rally to clinch the point for a 1-0 lead.

“At the beginning we started pretty nervous,” Vallverdu said. “It was really windy and the girls were serving pretty well. We were not too solid. We just kind of played and kept it clean and we told ourselves, ‘we’re still up, we’re still winning.”

The only setback on the day was Mariana Muci’s 6-4, 6-4 upset over 20th-ranked sophomore Bianca Eichkorn in the third position.

With the victory, the Canes improved to 21-1 all-time against the Panthers (1-1).

Miami will serve as one of 15 host sites for this weekend’s ITA National Indoor Qualifier. The Hurricanes face Utah (1-1) at 10 a.m. Saturday. No. 41 Virginia (2-0) and 24th-ranked Tennessee (2-0) will also compete, with the winners of each match set to play in the final on Sunday afternoon.

“Heading into this weekend we’re expecting to have to play great tennis,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “At this point we just want to keep the girls rested, make sure they’re fresh on Sunday and play a little better on doubles.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...