Football

Whipple hired as offensive coordinator

Whipple

Whipple

Mark Whipple will be the new offensive coordinator at the University of Miami, according to a statement released by the Hurricane athletic department.

Whipple, formerly an offensive assistant for the Philadelphia Eagles, will take his first job as a offensive coordinator in Division I-A football. He was the offensive coordinator at New Hampshire from 1986-1987.

“Miami is a tremendous university with great academics and great athletics,” Whipple said in a statement. “It has been one of the most successful football programs in the country winning five national championships. I haven’t worked with too many of them, but the thing I always admired about them is how much pride and respect they have for the school.”

Whipple will replace Patrick Nix, who was let go by head coach Randy Shannon earlier this month.

“Mark has been successful in every phase of his career,” Shannon said. “He developed a Super Bowl quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger, won a national championship as the head coach at UMass and created an effective and potent offense most recently for the playoff bound Philadelphia Eagles. Aside from being innovative at his craft, Mark is a tremendous individual who will positively impact our student-athletes on and off the field.”

An announcement is expected at 1 p.m. today at the Hecht Athletic Center.

Matthew Bunch contributed to this article

Stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com as this story develops.

Lelan LeDoux

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...