Football

Whipple hired as offensive coordinator

Whipple

Whipple

Mark Whipple will be the new offensive coordinator at the University of Miami, according to a statement released by the Hurricane athletic department.

Whipple, formerly an offensive assistant for the Philadelphia Eagles, will take his first job as a offensive coordinator in Division I-A football. He was the offensive coordinator at New Hampshire from 1986-1987.

“Miami is a tremendous university with great academics and great athletics,” Whipple said in a statement. “It has been one of the most successful football programs in the country winning five national championships. I haven’t worked with too many of them, but the thing I always admired about them is how much pride and respect they have for the school.”

Whipple will replace Patrick Nix, who was let go by head coach Randy Shannon earlier this month.

“Mark has been successful in every phase of his career,” Shannon said. “He developed a Super Bowl quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger, won a national championship as the head coach at UMass and created an effective and potent offense most recently for the playoff bound Philadelphia Eagles. Aside from being innovative at his craft, Mark is a tremendous individual who will positively impact our student-athletes on and off the field.”

An announcement is expected at 1 p.m. today at the Hecht Athletic Center.

Matthew Bunch contributed to this article

Stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com as this story develops.

Lelan LeDoux

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...