Football

Whipple hired as offensive coordinator

Whipple

Whipple

Mark Whipple will be the new offensive coordinator at the University of Miami, according to a statement released by the Hurricane athletic department.

Whipple, formerly an offensive assistant for the Philadelphia Eagles, will take his first job as a offensive coordinator in Division I-A football. He was the offensive coordinator at New Hampshire from 1986-1987.

“Miami is a tremendous university with great academics and great athletics,” Whipple said in a statement. “It has been one of the most successful football programs in the country winning five national championships. I haven’t worked with too many of them, but the thing I always admired about them is how much pride and respect they have for the school.”

Whipple will replace Patrick Nix, who was let go by head coach Randy Shannon earlier this month.

“Mark has been successful in every phase of his career,” Shannon said. “He developed a Super Bowl quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger, won a national championship as the head coach at UMass and created an effective and potent offense most recently for the playoff bound Philadelphia Eagles. Aside from being innovative at his craft, Mark is a tremendous individual who will positively impact our student-athletes on and off the field.”

An announcement is expected at 1 p.m. today at the Hecht Athletic Center.

Matthew Bunch contributed to this article

Stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com as this story develops.

Lelan LeDoux

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.