Tennis

Women perfect on weekend, men split matches

Cluadia returns the ball during a women's tennis match on Saturday against Florida Atlantic.  Miami won 7-0.  BILLY GILBERT // HURRICANE STAFF.

Cluadia returns the ball during a women's tennis match on Saturday against Florida Atlantic. Miami won 7-0. BILLY GILBERT // HURRICANE STAFF.

Don’t tell the women’s tennis team that it’s no longer hurricane season.

On both Friday and Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, Miami swept in-state opponents 7-0 in straight-sets victories.

Eighth-ranked sophomore transfer Julia Cohen led the Canes with a 6-0, 6-1 win against Florida Gulf Coast University’s Priscilla Villemond and a perfect 6-0, 6-0 romp against Florida Atlantic’s Natalia Totevska in singles competition in the first position.

She and two-time All-American junior Laura Vallverdu took a pair of doubles matches by scores of 8-1 on the weekend.

Sophomores Bianca Eichkorn and Michaela Kissell, ranked 14th, also cruised to easy victories in doubles competition.

Under eighth-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews, UM has never lost a season-opening match and improved to 26-0 all-time against the Owls (0-3).

The Hurricanes have four nationally-ranked players – Cohen, Vallverdu, Eichkorn and Kissell – three of whom are in the top 50.

Miami (2-0) hosts in-town rival Florida International (1-0) at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

Fourth-year head coach Mario Rincon and the 17th-ranked men’s tennis team, meanwhile, split a pair of matches without their top-two singles players – No. 17 senior Daniel Vallverdu, who continues to nurse a pectoral strain he suffered during the ITA National Indoor Championships, and senior David Rosenfeld.

Vallverdu’s absence hurt the Canes’ doubles play as he and sophomore Carl Sundberg are ranked 28th. In both matches, UM lost the doubles point for early 1-0 deficits.

On Sunday afternoon, No. 24 Rice (7-0) handed Miami a 4-3 loss with wins from the first, second and sixth positions.

“It’s definitely hard to lose the doubles point,” Rincon said. “We had opportunities to win the match – we had the momentum going for a little while there. Regardless, our guys played extremely hard and we are improving.”

Freshman Ignacio Taboada and Sundberg each won in two sets, while sophomore Keith Crowley upset 61st-ranked Sam Garfoth-Bles, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6.

In the season opener Thursday night, Taboada outlasted Lawrence Harradine, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, to clinch a 4-3 victory for the Hurricanes against the Owls (2-3).

Miami (1-1) reeled off three straight wins in singles matches and took four of six. Crowley easily disposed of his opponent, 6-3, 6-1, while Sundberg and junior transfer David Simon also won in two sets.

“We went out there and lost the doubles point and I went out into my match wanting to even things up,” Crowley said. “Get the guys back to one all, and let them finish it up from there. I finished my match up pretty quickly and I think I gave the team a pretty big boost.”

The Hurricanes will participate in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Jan. 31-Feb. 1 in Malibu, Calif.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

Adria Soriano Barrera checks in at No. 21, Bojan Jankulovski ranks No. 51 and Francisco Bastias rise ...