Student Government and university updates

Bikes

The University of Miami is becoming a more bike-friendly campus as sidewalks are widened and signs denoting safe places to bike are being placed around campus.

Additional bike racks have also been installed to accommodate this initiative. Student Government helped determine where these racks should be located and chose the color of the bikes.

The bookstore sold all 300 bikes in the first 10 days of the fall semester and has recently received 300 more. Around 60 have already been sold.

However, even with these changes, there are still unsafe places for bike riders. One area is the bridge across the canal leading to the University Center. At these places, bikes should be walked across.

“Eventually we want to make the entire campus safe for bikes,” Student Government President Brandon Gross said.

Live shuttle tracking available

The ability to track the UM Hurry ‘Cane shuttles and Ibis Rides live online is now available to University of Miami students at http://www.umshuttles.com/.

This project was launched last year under former SG President Danny Carvajal’s administration and is continued by the Gross administration. Live shuttle tracking can be accessed at UMShuttles.com from a computer or PDA device.

Zipcars

Two new Zipcars have been added to the Mahoney-Pearson parking lot.

In the works

Around 2,300 students returned the Student Government survey on the advising process; the results are now being studied.

The Executive Board of Student Government is working to redesign the University of Miami’s Web site to make its search engine function more user-friendly.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...