Student Government and university updates

Bikes

The University of Miami is becoming a more bike-friendly campus as sidewalks are widened and signs denoting safe places to bike are being placed around campus.

Additional bike racks have also been installed to accommodate this initiative. Student Government helped determine where these racks should be located and chose the color of the bikes.

The bookstore sold all 300 bikes in the first 10 days of the fall semester and has recently received 300 more. Around 60 have already been sold.

However, even with these changes, there are still unsafe places for bike riders. One area is the bridge across the canal leading to the University Center. At these places, bikes should be walked across.

“Eventually we want to make the entire campus safe for bikes,” Student Government President Brandon Gross said.

Live shuttle tracking available

The ability to track the UM Hurry ‘Cane shuttles and Ibis Rides live online is now available to University of Miami students at http://www.umshuttles.com/.

This project was launched last year under former SG President Danny Carvajal’s administration and is continued by the Gross administration. Live shuttle tracking can be accessed at UMShuttles.com from a computer or PDA device.

Zipcars

Two new Zipcars have been added to the Mahoney-Pearson parking lot.

In the works

Around 2,300 students returned the Student Government survey on the advising process; the results are now being studied.

The Executive Board of Student Government is working to redesign the University of Miami’s Web site to make its search engine function more user-friendly.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...