RSMAS Beat Notebook: Jan. 26

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science hosted a lecture and book signing by Ellen Prager on Wednesday. Prager, author of Chasing Science and Sea, is an adjunct professor at the school as well as the chief scientist of the world’s only undersea research station, NOAA’s Aquarius Reef Base. She shared her experiences and those of her colleagues showing that a good sense of humor and ingenuity are just as important as water, sunblock and a GPS. The event was free and open to the public.

A group of international scientists, two of whom come from RSMAS, solved a mystery that has puzzled marine chemists for decades. They have discovered that fish contribute a high fraction of the ocean’s calcium carbonate production, which affects the delicate pH balance of seawater. The finding was published in Science on Friday, Jan. 16. Corresponding authors Frank Millero and Martin Grosell from RSMAS collaborated with a professor from the University of Exeter in the UK to make this discovery.

UM received a $100,000 grant from The William G. Selby and Marie Selby Foundation to manage and operate Little Salt Spring archeological and ecological preserve. The grant will help support the initial site development and construction of the multi-purpose building that will be used for teaching, research, visitors and storage. John Gifford, an associate professor at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, is the principal investigator of one of many projects that take place at the spring.

Analisa Harangozo

Staff News Writer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...