RSMAS Beat Notebook: Jan. 26

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science hosted a lecture and book signing by Ellen Prager on Wednesday. Prager, author of Chasing Science and Sea, is an adjunct professor at the school as well as the chief scientist of the world’s only undersea research station, NOAA’s Aquarius Reef Base. She shared her experiences and those of her colleagues showing that a good sense of humor and ingenuity are just as important as water, sunblock and a GPS. The event was free and open to the public.

A group of international scientists, two of whom come from RSMAS, solved a mystery that has puzzled marine chemists for decades. They have discovered that fish contribute a high fraction of the ocean’s calcium carbonate production, which affects the delicate pH balance of seawater. The finding was published in Science on Friday, Jan. 16. Corresponding authors Frank Millero and Martin Grosell from RSMAS collaborated with a professor from the University of Exeter in the UK to make this discovery.

UM received a $100,000 grant from The William G. Selby and Marie Selby Foundation to manage and operate Little Salt Spring archeological and ecological preserve. The grant will help support the initial site development and construction of the multi-purpose building that will be used for teaching, research, visitors and storage. John Gifford, an associate professor at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, is the principal investigator of one of many projects that take place at the spring.

Analisa Harangozo

Staff News Writer

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

With 102 events already on their calendar, new initiatives are also on the horizon for the Universit ...

Economic expert Paulo Leme analyzes last week’s economic downturn. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...