Our opinion: Cold snap should be taken in stride

I said brrrr, it’s cold in here, it must be…an arctic breeze from the North Pole? It seems as though the man upstairs decided to throw us South Floridians a knuckleball weather-wise. Whoever heard of 40 degrees in Miami? It sounds like some sort of sick joke.

But at least it gives us something to talk about. There are about 10 days out of the year where, if you’re from the north, you get to throw on your freshest hoodie and layer up a bit, or, if you’re from down here, the kids from up north get to laugh while you scramble to find that winter jacket you got four years ago when you went skiing.

Most of us probably talk to their friends and family from back home on a regular basis and for a lot of us, those people either live or go to school where it’s frigid most of the year. They ask “How are you, how’s school?” and when it’s 64 degrees out and you’re shivering, it’s almost automatic to say, “It’s freezing here, man.” This is the point in the conversation when there’s usually a long pause, and your friend blurts out, “It’s f-ing two below zero!”

So we can complain when it’s too cold out to go to the beach, but it should definitely be noted that almost any day of the year we CAN go to the beach.

While it seems that the temperature is looking favorable for the coming weeks, we never know when it will turn on us, so be glad that when you find yourself ordering soup and hot coffee and wearing wool hats and Uggs, it only happens once in a blue moon.

Editorial Board

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...