Miami-Dade College brings Dali’s illustrations of hell to life

A riveting exhibit, “The Divine Comedy by Salvador Dalí” takes Dante Alighieri’s poetic depiction of hell, purgatory and paradise and transforms each canto into illustrations of the horror and beauty of life after death.

The 100 watercolor illustrations line the walls of three rooms each corresponding with a specific book in The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. Each image gives a similar explanation of Dante’s cantos but with a different view.

In Inferno, grotesque interpretations of hell line red and white walls, exuding the painful and suffering consequences of sin.

Purgatorio radiates in yellow, depicting the challenge of souls to face their sins and gradually ascend to heaven. This section displays the interesting interpretation Dalí makes of Dante the Pilgrim. The artist takes his famous surreal image of sexual persecution, masturbation and Freudian logic “The Great Masturbator” and includes similar qualities in his portrayal of Dante in Purgatory.

The final sequence of images, placed on sky blue walls, evokes the happiness and calm of Paradiso. The exhibit ends on a high note of hope and celestial paradise.

Only a few illustrations contain a description, so bringing along all three books would be useful. The exhibit can be enjoyed by all but a familiarity with The Divine Comedy helps in understanding the true caliber of work Dalí produced.

Some say imitation is the greatest form of flattery but, in Dalí’s words, “Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.”

If You Go:

Who: Spanish painter, graphic artist and writer Salvador Dalí is best known as the leader of the surrealist movement. In 1951, the Italian government commissioned Dalí to create a series of illustrations that depict Dante Alighieri’s The Divine Comedy.

What: Salvador Dalí exhibit The Divine Comedy

Where: Miami-Dade College Freedom Tower

600 Biscayne Boulevard

Miami, FL 33132

When: Exhibit runs until January 31, 2009

Tuesday – Friday, noon until 5 p.m. Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...