Film Review: ‘Defiance’

In the hilarious and underrated television show “Extras,” Kate Winslet says, “If you do a film about the Holocaust, you’re guaranteed an Oscar.” Unfortunately, “Defiance” never quite reaches the brilliance of films like “Schindler’s List” and “The Pianist,” and thus its obvious quest for Academy Award glory will remain unfulfilled.

Though it is one of the first of its kind — a Holocaust action thriller — this incredible but true film lacks the pathos of its predecessors and does not do its subject matter justice. For one of the first times in cinematic history, palpable Jewish resistance against the Nazis is celebrated. In reality, the heroes of the film saved over 1,200 Jews, an incredible feat about which few people know.

That isn’t to say that “Defiance” is a bad film. It’s actually extremely compelling and features outstanding performances from many of its actors, but, for one reason or another, it never achieves greatness. Though they could not look more unrelated, Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber and Jamie Bell are uniformly excellent as Tuvia, Zus, and Asael Bielski, three brothers who unintentionally create a thriving camp in a forest where Jews from all over Belarus come to seek sanctuary.

Craig and Schreiber’s magnetism make their scenes together standouts and their constant quarrels over the prioritization of maintaining civilization, basic survival and vengeance are the best features of the film. Mark Feuerstein and Iddo Goldberg are also commendable, though Alexa Davalos and Mia Wasikowska are glaringly miscast as two refugees. Their subplots, which involve the men taking “forest wives,” seem to belong to a different film altogether.

“Defiance” is certainly not director Ed Zwick’s best effort by any means. Though far from perfect, “Defiance” remains incredibly profound.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...