Band Spotlight: Tristan and the Juice

MICHELLE WALLACE//HURRICANE STAFF

MICHELLE WALLACE//HURRICANE STAFF

“If I was to have a headline in Rolling Stone, I don’t care what it says, as long as it isn’t negative or related to boy bands…and that it doesn’t say I’m a sensitive songwriter,” says former Hurricane Tristan Clopet, the 22-year-old front man of the band Tristan and the Juice.

He describes the band’s sound as “Jeff Buckley covering music by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.” Clopet, a true musician, writes and arranges at his home studio.

“It was a big investment, but you have to have a product before you can market it,” Clopet said. “It takes so much more than good music to make it. You have to eat, sleep and breathe this.”

Clopet has an insatiable hunger for and love of music. He says that he’ll listen to anything but country. He cites rapper Andre 3000 as an inspiration as well as singers such as Billy Corgan. He also appreciates musicians such as Eminem and the Beastie Boys as innovators.

“My mom forced me at 5 to take up an instrument, and I hated her for it. She let me play everything but drums, and I think the neighbors appreciated her for that,” Clopet said. “But I’m so thankful she forced me to do that. I truly believe what Yo-Yo Ma once said, ‘If every child played an instrument the world would be a better place.'”

It was during Clopet’s sophomore year that he answered his true calling. Clopet transferred to the University of Miami from Brooklyn College to study journalism, and it was the death of a classmate that made him realize life was too short not to pursue his dreams. So Clopet left UM his junior year to devote himself to his passion for music.

“People said I was crazy for leaving, that I only had one more year to go, but I’d rather fail at what I’m trying than succeed at what I don’t want to do,” Clopet said. “Life isn’t worth living if you don’t enjoy it.”

Clopet wants people to feel the honesty in his music, and wants his message to his audience to be to “live life passionately, be truthful to yourself.”

For more information about Tristan and the Juice please visit: http://www.myspace.com/TristanTheMusic

If You Go

What: Tristan and the Juice play at Patio Jams

When: Thursday, Feb. 12, 2009

Where: UC Patio

Cost: Free

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...