Animal Collective’s new album elegant, focused

Animal Collective’s ninth studio release, Merriweather Post Pavilion, triumphantly achieves melodic and artful pop elegance through the tinkering of Geologist (Brian Weitz) and the voices, guitars and drums of Avey Tare (David Portner) and Panda Bear (Noah Lennox). Anticipated greatly within the indie realm, leaked tracks and live versions of songs had been widely listened to via YouTube, torrents, and blogs preceding the release of the album. Luckily, the anticipation was merited.

Merriweather feels more focused and purposeful than any previous release from the band, though the songs are still distinctively Animal Collective – vocals that are often indecipherable, harmonies thrown into a electronically psychedelic wonderland and densely crafted songs with a plethora of sounds. It is as though Animal Collective took the best aspects from their greatest songs, made them better, remixed the tracks, and released an album.

Opener “In The Flowers” begins with various dabbles in sound and breezy vocals before ascending into a euphoric chorus. The second track, “My Girls,” starts with a repetitive synthesized sequence, eventually leading into harmonious vocals, handclaps and other odd sounds sprinkled across the electronic background. The Afro-pop influenced “Brother Sport” is another highlight, a celebration of sorts repeating the anthem to “open up your throat.”

Though Merriweather will likely end up on many “Best Of” lists at the end of 2009, it also marks some of the most intriguing music being made in our generation, period.

Rating: 4/4 stars

Lauren Shepherd

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...