Animal Collective’s new album elegant, focused

Animal Collective’s ninth studio release, Merriweather Post Pavilion, triumphantly achieves melodic and artful pop elegance through the tinkering of Geologist (Brian Weitz) and the voices, guitars and drums of Avey Tare (David Portner) and Panda Bear (Noah Lennox). Anticipated greatly within the indie realm, leaked tracks and live versions of songs had been widely listened to via YouTube, torrents, and blogs preceding the release of the album. Luckily, the anticipation was merited.

Merriweather feels more focused and purposeful than any previous release from the band, though the songs are still distinctively Animal Collective – vocals that are often indecipherable, harmonies thrown into a electronically psychedelic wonderland and densely crafted songs with a plethora of sounds. It is as though Animal Collective took the best aspects from their greatest songs, made them better, remixed the tracks, and released an album.

Opener “In The Flowers” begins with various dabbles in sound and breezy vocals before ascending into a euphoric chorus. The second track, “My Girls,” starts with a repetitive synthesized sequence, eventually leading into harmonious vocals, handclaps and other odd sounds sprinkled across the electronic background. The Afro-pop influenced “Brother Sport” is another highlight, a celebration of sorts repeating the anthem to “open up your throat.”

Though Merriweather will likely end up on many “Best Of” lists at the end of 2009, it also marks some of the most intriguing music being made in our generation, period.

Rating: 4/4 stars

Lauren Shepherd

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...