Posters advertising ‘Che’ biopic vandalized near Cosford Cinema

VANDALIZED: One of two posters promoting the biopic 'Che' with the word "Asesino" scrawled over them near the Cosford Cinema. Asesino is Spanish for murdurer.

MARKED UP: One of two posters promoting the biopic 'Che' with the word Asesino scrawled over them near the Cosford Cinema. Asesino is Spanish for "murderer." MATTHEW BUNCH // Hurricane Staff

Two posters advertising the biopic Che were vandalized outside of the Bill Cosford Cinema sometime Thursday evening.

The film, about militant revolutionary Ernesto “Che” Guevara, features actor Benecio del Toro in the title role. The cinema is scheduled to show both parts of the film this weekend.

The word asesino, which means “murderer” in Spanish, was scrawled in permanent black marker across a plastic case housing the poster, which depicts actor Benicio del Toro as Guevara.

Guevara, a supporter of Cuban socialism who invaded Cuba under Fidel Castro’s leadership, was executed in Bolivia in 1967. His strong-handed actions have remained controversial, particularly among the Cuban-American community in Miami.

“Che represents a figure who has a lot of blood on his hands. He is responsible for many of the executions that took place in the early days of the Cuban Revolution,” said Andy Gomez, assistant provost and senior fellow at the Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies.

“If the movie portrays him as someone good, we’re not going to like it,” said freshman Chris Castillo, a Cuban-American.

The act of vandalism is not something that is taken lightly, according to UM officials.

“You may think it’s funny or silly, but there are extreme consequences for something like putting graffiti on a poster,” said David Rivero, chief of the University of Miami Police Department.

Consequences may include up to one year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines. The university will also discipline any student found guilty of vandalism with a suspension, warning or probation, depending on the situation and the student’s disciplinary history. Restitution will almost always be required of the guilty student by the university.

“It’s a cowardly crime. It upsets someone and the person is usually not willing to come forward and discuss why they did it,” said Ricardo Hall, dean of students. No suspects have been found at this time, but it is possible that a review of surveillance video footage may identify a perpetrator.

Ashleigh Maynard

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...