Posters advertising ‘Che’ biopic vandalized near Cosford Cinema

VANDALIZED: One of two posters promoting the biopic 'Che' with the word "Asesino" scrawled over them near the Cosford Cinema. Asesino is Spanish for murdurer.

MARKED UP: One of two posters promoting the biopic 'Che' with the word Asesino scrawled over them near the Cosford Cinema. Asesino is Spanish for "murderer." MATTHEW BUNCH // Hurricane Staff

Two posters advertising the biopic Che were vandalized outside of the Bill Cosford Cinema sometime Thursday evening.

The film, about militant revolutionary Ernesto “Che” Guevara, features actor Benecio del Toro in the title role. The cinema is scheduled to show both parts of the film this weekend.

The word asesino, which means “murderer” in Spanish, was scrawled in permanent black marker across a plastic case housing the poster, which depicts actor Benicio del Toro as Guevara.

Guevara, a supporter of Cuban socialism who invaded Cuba under Fidel Castro’s leadership, was executed in Bolivia in 1967. His strong-handed actions have remained controversial, particularly among the Cuban-American community in Miami.

“Che represents a figure who has a lot of blood on his hands. He is responsible for many of the executions that took place in the early days of the Cuban Revolution,” said Andy Gomez, assistant provost and senior fellow at the Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies.

“If the movie portrays him as someone good, we’re not going to like it,” said freshman Chris Castillo, a Cuban-American.

The act of vandalism is not something that is taken lightly, according to UM officials.

“You may think it’s funny or silly, but there are extreme consequences for something like putting graffiti on a poster,” said David Rivero, chief of the University of Miami Police Department.

Consequences may include up to one year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines. The university will also discipline any student found guilty of vandalism with a suspension, warning or probation, depending on the situation and the student’s disciplinary history. Restitution will almost always be required of the guilty student by the university.

“It’s a cowardly crime. It upsets someone and the person is usually not willing to come forward and discuss why they did it,” said Ricardo Hall, dean of students. No suspects have been found at this time, but it is possible that a review of surveillance video footage may identify a perpetrator.

Ashleigh Maynard

Planet Kreyol and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs host a remembrance ceremony to salute ...

University of Miami film and media specialists discuss the dynamics—competition, quality, and delive ...

The destruction throughout portions of southwestern Puerto Rico brings back memories of the devastat ...

The unique program ends with students in the nation’s capital, meeting with elected officials, explo ...

University of Miami Laboratory for Integrative Knowledge grantees learn more about the science of te ...

The Miami men's basketball team will welcome ninth-ranked Florida State to the Watsco Center Sa ...

Miami drops a road contest at North Carolina. ...

Miami heads to Chapel Hill on Thursday to take on North Carolina. ...

The Miami men's basketball team fell to NC State, 80-63, Wednesday night at PNC Arena. ...

Sam Waardenburg has been a steady, consistent presence for the Hurricanes during a tough January str ...