Posters advertising ‘Che’ biopic vandalized near Cosford Cinema

VANDALIZED: One of two posters promoting the biopic 'Che' with the word "Asesino" scrawled over them near the Cosford Cinema. Asesino is Spanish for murdurer.

MARKED UP: One of two posters promoting the biopic 'Che' with the word Asesino scrawled over them near the Cosford Cinema. Asesino is Spanish for "murderer." MATTHEW BUNCH // Hurricane Staff

Two posters advertising the biopic Che were vandalized outside of the Bill Cosford Cinema sometime Thursday evening.

The film, about militant revolutionary Ernesto “Che” Guevara, features actor Benecio del Toro in the title role. The cinema is scheduled to show both parts of the film this weekend.

The word asesino, which means “murderer” in Spanish, was scrawled in permanent black marker across a plastic case housing the poster, which depicts actor Benicio del Toro as Guevara.

Guevara, a supporter of Cuban socialism who invaded Cuba under Fidel Castro’s leadership, was executed in Bolivia in 1967. His strong-handed actions have remained controversial, particularly among the Cuban-American community in Miami.

“Che represents a figure who has a lot of blood on his hands. He is responsible for many of the executions that took place in the early days of the Cuban Revolution,” said Andy Gomez, assistant provost and senior fellow at the Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies.

“If the movie portrays him as someone good, we’re not going to like it,” said freshman Chris Castillo, a Cuban-American.

The act of vandalism is not something that is taken lightly, according to UM officials.

“You may think it’s funny or silly, but there are extreme consequences for something like putting graffiti on a poster,” said David Rivero, chief of the University of Miami Police Department.

Consequences may include up to one year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines. The university will also discipline any student found guilty of vandalism with a suspension, warning or probation, depending on the situation and the student’s disciplinary history. Restitution will almost always be required of the guilty student by the university.

“It’s a cowardly crime. It upsets someone and the person is usually not willing to come forward and discuss why they did it,” said Ricardo Hall, dean of students. No suspects have been found at this time, but it is possible that a review of surveillance video footage may identify a perpetrator.

Ashleigh Maynard

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...