Basketball

Women’s basketball winless in ACC play

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68.  WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68. WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

Things haven’t quite panned out the way the University of Miami women’s basketball team had hoped so far this season.

After starting out strong with a 10-4 record through non-conference play, the Hurricanes have dropped four straight pivotal ACC games and have yet to clinch their first ACC victory.

This past Sunday the Canes fell to the Boston College Eagles (15-4, 3-1), 62-54. Miami struggled from beyond the arc, making just 1 of 15 3-pointers attempted. Freshman guard Riquna Williams led UM with 13 points.

Last Monday the Hurricanes had an opportunity to defeat No. 22 Georgia Tech, but gave up their halftime lead, eventually losing 68-50. Miami shot just 7 of 28 from the field in the second half and missed 11 free throws. This season, UM is the worst free-throw shooting team in the ACC at 60 percent.

Freshman forward Shenise Johnson has shown her all-around ability as the team leader in scoring with 12.3 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. Johnson is 21st in scoring and 10th in rebounding in the ACC. Johnson is also averaging a solid 4.2 assists and three steals per game. She shoots a team-best 82 percent from the charity strip.

Second to Johnson, senior guard LaToya Cunningham is averaging 8.4 points per game and shoots a team-best .355 from the 3-point line.

Unfortunately, Cunningham’s success behind the arc hasn’t carried over to the rest of the team. The Canes have been struggling from long range this season, shooting second-to-last in the ACC with .271.

The high point of the season for the Hurricanes has been winning the UM Thanksgiving Tournament against Austin Peay and Santa Clara.

Even though Miami (10-8, 0-4) is winless in the ACC, the immediate schedule looks to favor the Hurricanes. UM plays host to North Carolina State (8-10, 0-3) tonight and will look for revenge against Georgia Tech (13-4, 1-2) next Thursday.

Lelan LeDoux

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...