Basketball

Women’s basketball winless in ACC play

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68.  WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68. WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

Things haven’t quite panned out the way the University of Miami women’s basketball team had hoped so far this season.

After starting out strong with a 10-4 record through non-conference play, the Hurricanes have dropped four straight pivotal ACC games and have yet to clinch their first ACC victory.

This past Sunday the Canes fell to the Boston College Eagles (15-4, 3-1), 62-54. Miami struggled from beyond the arc, making just 1 of 15 3-pointers attempted. Freshman guard Riquna Williams led UM with 13 points.

Last Monday the Hurricanes had an opportunity to defeat No. 22 Georgia Tech, but gave up their halftime lead, eventually losing 68-50. Miami shot just 7 of 28 from the field in the second half and missed 11 free throws. This season, UM is the worst free-throw shooting team in the ACC at 60 percent.

Freshman forward Shenise Johnson has shown her all-around ability as the team leader in scoring with 12.3 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. Johnson is 21st in scoring and 10th in rebounding in the ACC. Johnson is also averaging a solid 4.2 assists and three steals per game. She shoots a team-best 82 percent from the charity strip.

Second to Johnson, senior guard LaToya Cunningham is averaging 8.4 points per game and shoots a team-best .355 from the 3-point line.

Unfortunately, Cunningham’s success behind the arc hasn’t carried over to the rest of the team. The Canes have been struggling from long range this season, shooting second-to-last in the ACC with .271.

The high point of the season for the Hurricanes has been winning the UM Thanksgiving Tournament against Austin Peay and Santa Clara.

Even though Miami (10-8, 0-4) is winless in the ACC, the immediate schedule looks to favor the Hurricanes. UM plays host to North Carolina State (8-10, 0-3) tonight and will look for revenge against Georgia Tech (13-4, 1-2) next Thursday.

Lelan LeDoux

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...