Basketball

Women’s basketball winless in ACC play

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68.  WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

CHALLENGE: Riquna Williams goes for a layup against Clemson. Miami lost to Clemson 74-68. WELLINGTON GUZMAN // Hurricane Staff.

Things haven’t quite panned out the way the University of Miami women’s basketball team had hoped so far this season.

After starting out strong with a 10-4 record through non-conference play, the Hurricanes have dropped four straight pivotal ACC games and have yet to clinch their first ACC victory.

This past Sunday the Canes fell to the Boston College Eagles (15-4, 3-1), 62-54. Miami struggled from beyond the arc, making just 1 of 15 3-pointers attempted. Freshman guard Riquna Williams led UM with 13 points.

Last Monday the Hurricanes had an opportunity to defeat No. 22 Georgia Tech, but gave up their halftime lead, eventually losing 68-50. Miami shot just 7 of 28 from the field in the second half and missed 11 free throws. This season, UM is the worst free-throw shooting team in the ACC at 60 percent.

Freshman forward Shenise Johnson has shown her all-around ability as the team leader in scoring with 12.3 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. Johnson is 21st in scoring and 10th in rebounding in the ACC. Johnson is also averaging a solid 4.2 assists and three steals per game. She shoots a team-best 82 percent from the charity strip.

Second to Johnson, senior guard LaToya Cunningham is averaging 8.4 points per game and shoots a team-best .355 from the 3-point line.

Unfortunately, Cunningham’s success behind the arc hasn’t carried over to the rest of the team. The Canes have been struggling from long range this season, shooting second-to-last in the ACC with .271.

The high point of the season for the Hurricanes has been winning the UM Thanksgiving Tournament against Austin Peay and Santa Clara.

Even though Miami (10-8, 0-4) is winless in the ACC, the immediate schedule looks to favor the Hurricanes. UM plays host to North Carolina State (8-10, 0-3) tonight and will look for revenge against Georgia Tech (13-4, 1-2) next Thursday.

Lelan LeDoux

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...