The glory of being someone else

Salvation is a common theme in movies – one in which a flawed but undeniably good character is driven to change internally, make amends and become the hero. The Wrestler tweaks this formula by establishing two worlds – the wrestling world and reality – and questioning whether glory as a fabricated persona can lead to actual salvation.

Randy “The Ram” Robinson (Mickey Rourke) is a washed-up professional wrestler who led a celebrity lifestyle in the ’80s. Now he works at a supermarket and wrestles in front of a few hundred fans in run-down gymnasiums.

Randy’s mind stays in just two places: inside and outside of the wrestling ring. Inside, the chants from the crowd still echo loudly and a weight seems to be lifted from his battered shoulders. He becomes “The Ram” and life is only as simple as taking down the man in front of him. But outside the ring, his life is a string of failures – his daughter hates him and his body begins to break down.

Rourke’s performance is the centerpiece of The Wrestler, for he truly is “The Ram.” Watching his character struggle through life outside the ring only makes the wrestling scenes more poignant. The story drags in places and the supporting characters are disposable, but the dichotomy in the grappler’s life and the constant push-and-pull are compelling. It becomes a question of which of his worlds will prevail, and if his story will end in destruction or salvation.

The Wrestler places a familiar story within an uncommon setting, but its deeply troubled hero truly resonates.

Rating: 3 out of 4

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...