The glory of being someone else

Salvation is a common theme in movies – one in which a flawed but undeniably good character is driven to change internally, make amends and become the hero. The Wrestler tweaks this formula by establishing two worlds – the wrestling world and reality – and questioning whether glory as a fabricated persona can lead to actual salvation.

Randy “The Ram” Robinson (Mickey Rourke) is a washed-up professional wrestler who led a celebrity lifestyle in the ’80s. Now he works at a supermarket and wrestles in front of a few hundred fans in run-down gymnasiums.

Randy’s mind stays in just two places: inside and outside of the wrestling ring. Inside, the chants from the crowd still echo loudly and a weight seems to be lifted from his battered shoulders. He becomes “The Ram” and life is only as simple as taking down the man in front of him. But outside the ring, his life is a string of failures – his daughter hates him and his body begins to break down.

Rourke’s performance is the centerpiece of The Wrestler, for he truly is “The Ram.” Watching his character struggle through life outside the ring only makes the wrestling scenes more poignant. The story drags in places and the supporting characters are disposable, but the dichotomy in the grappler’s life and the constant push-and-pull are compelling. It becomes a question of which of his worlds will prevail, and if his story will end in destruction or salvation.

The Wrestler places a familiar story within an uncommon setting, but its deeply troubled hero truly resonates.

Rating: 3 out of 4

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Extremely involved and passionate about UM, she served as a trustee for 21 years, beginning in 1997. ...

The University of Miami’s emergency management team is working to create a disaster resilient Univer ...

University of Miami Police and the Department of Parking and Transportation provide various services ...

The number of students applying for Study Abroad has increased dramatically, with Europe being the m ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...