The glory of being someone else

Salvation is a common theme in movies – one in which a flawed but undeniably good character is driven to change internally, make amends and become the hero. The Wrestler tweaks this formula by establishing two worlds – the wrestling world and reality – and questioning whether glory as a fabricated persona can lead to actual salvation.

Randy “The Ram” Robinson (Mickey Rourke) is a washed-up professional wrestler who led a celebrity lifestyle in the ’80s. Now he works at a supermarket and wrestles in front of a few hundred fans in run-down gymnasiums.

Randy’s mind stays in just two places: inside and outside of the wrestling ring. Inside, the chants from the crowd still echo loudly and a weight seems to be lifted from his battered shoulders. He becomes “The Ram” and life is only as simple as taking down the man in front of him. But outside the ring, his life is a string of failures – his daughter hates him and his body begins to break down.

Rourke’s performance is the centerpiece of The Wrestler, for he truly is “The Ram.” Watching his character struggle through life outside the ring only makes the wrestling scenes more poignant. The story drags in places and the supporting characters are disposable, but the dichotomy in the grappler’s life and the constant push-and-pull are compelling. It becomes a question of which of his worlds will prevail, and if his story will end in destruction or salvation.

The Wrestler places a familiar story within an uncommon setting, but its deeply troubled hero truly resonates.

Rating: 3 out of 4

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...