Renowned surgeon Ruben Quintero joins Miller Faculty

Renowned surgeon Dr. Ruben Quintero, 50, is joining the faculty of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Jackson Memorial Hospital. Famous for his innovative work regarding prenatal surgery, Quintero developed the field of operative fetoscopy, which includes using minimally invasive techniques for operating on babies in utero.

Quintero comes to UM from the University of South Florida, where he worked from the end of 2005 until the beginning of 2009. Prior to that, he held the position of medical director of St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital from 1996 until 2005. He is credited with pioneering the selective laser surgery technique used in treating twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) and proposed the staging classification of the syndrome used around the world.

Quintero, whose USF biography lists embryoscopy, fetoscopy, and prenatal diagnosis as some of his interests, will become the director of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine and will also teach courses in obstetrics and gynecology.

His hiring is part of UM’s campaign to establish the medical school as one of the world’s foremost research centers and the effort to create a multimillion-dollar center in fetal therapy research. In an interview with The Miami Herald, Dr. Leo Twiggs, chairman of the medical school’s Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, said, “It’s really exciting to get a doctor of his caliber.” According to Twiggs, Quintero is one of a handful of doctors who use his methodology. UM/Jackson hope to join Columbia University and the University of California at San Diego in the top tier of fetal research centers.

Quintero, a native of Venezuela, received his medical degree at Caracas’ Universidad Central de Venezuela Medical School in 1983. He completed his residency at Yale University School of Medicine and practiced at Wayne State University in Detroit along with St. Joseph’s. He starts at UM/Jackson on March 1.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...