Jammin’ with the Dean

Bobby McFerrin. Dionne Warwick. Ray Charles. Steve Miller. KISS. These are just a few of the artists with whom renowned jazz pianist Shelly Berg has worked. Before serving as the dean of the University of Miami’s Frost School of Music, Berg performed, recorded, arranged and orchestrated for and with many greats in the jazz and rock worlds.

In addition to managing the prestigious music school and performing around the world, Dean Berg is also currently working on a project with another group of talented musicians – his students.

“Jammin’ with the Dean” is a discussion series that Dean Berg initiated last year. These sessions, held fairly frequently since he took the position, allow music students to talk with their dean, ask him questions and play music with him. When conducting this series of events, students see him not only as an administrator and educator, but also as a musician.

“I want to get to know as many students as I can, musically and personally,” Berg said.

Each session is designed a bit differently. This Friday’s event will be a piano and keyboard forum during which the dean hopes students will bring music to play on the two pianos. He wants to listen to their ideas and music, demonstrate techniques and talk with students about “things that are universal in music.” By focusing on a different aspect of the music school in each session, “I get to meet lots of students from across the school,” he said.

Dean Berg also hopes the “Jammin’ with the Dean” series will help students in their musical studies and beyond.

“What they study is just the entryway to a whole universe,” Berg said. “There’s a power they can unleash as a musician, a force they can be in the world. I really love the opportunity to interact with the students.”

Dean Berg’s work has been on television and in films and his 2005 original album Blackbird reached No. 1 on Jazzweek’s U.S. jazz radio charts. He served as the chair of the department of Jazz Studies at the Thornton School of Music and is a former president of the International Association of Jazz Educators.

If You Go:

1/23/09 from 1:25pm – 2:20pm Clarke Recital Hall (Piano/Keyboard Forum)

2/20/09 from 9:05am – 9:55am Clarke Recital Hall (Music Business Forum)

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...