First female mayor of Coral Gables graduates from UM

Dorothy Thomson, 76, graduated Thursday with a bachelor's from the University of Miami. Thomson was the first and only female mayor of Coral Gables.

POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE: Dorothy Thomson, 76, graduated last month with a bachelor’s degree from the University of Miami. She entered UM’s College of Arts and Sciences in the spring of 1956, but put her studies on hold to pursue professional options, which ultimately led to 16 years on the Coral Gables city council and serving as the city’s first female mayor.
Thomson graduated with an Area of Concentration in Women’s Studies and Politics and a 3.6 GPA.

Matthew Bunch

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...