First female mayor of Coral Gables graduates from UM

Dorothy Thomson, 76, graduated Thursday with a bachelor's from the University of Miami. Thomson was the first and only female mayor of Coral Gables.

POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE: Dorothy Thomson, 76, graduated last month with a bachelor’s degree from the University of Miami. She entered UM’s College of Arts and Sciences in the spring of 1956, but put her studies on hold to pursue professional options, which ultimately led to 16 years on the Coral Gables city council and serving as the city’s first female mayor.
Thomson graduated with an Area of Concentration in Women’s Studies and Politics and a 3.6 GPA.

Matthew Bunch

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...