Basketball

Tar Heels quiet Canes, win 82-65

Senior forward Tyler Hansbrough scored a game-high 24 points as the fifth-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels defeated the University of Miami, 82-65, Saturday night in Chapel Hill, N.C.

The Tar Heels (16-2, 2-2) outscored the Hurricanes 46-33 in the second half and shot 56.3 percent from three-point range to expand on a four-point halftime lead.

With 7:18 left in the first half, UM held a nine-point lead before UNC went on a 13-0 run to end the period.

Senior guard Jack McClinton led the Canes with 21 points on 9-of-20 shooting and turned the ball over five times.

Tar Heel junior guard Wayne Ellington helped break the game open by scoring all 23 of his points in the final 20 minutes.

Miami (13-4, 2-2) returns home to face rival Florida State (15-3, 2-1) at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...