UM student among US Airways plane crash survivors

A University of Miami student was among the 155 passengers to survive the crash of US Airways Flight 1549 into the Hudson River yesterday.

“Concerning yesterday’s jet crash in New York’s Hudson River—one of our students was on that plane,” President Donna E. Shalala wrote in an e-mail to the university community this afternoon. “He will graduate in May because he had an angel on his wing and a courageous pilot in the cockpit, and the New York/New Jersey community had an emergency plan that worked.”

The jet’s pilot, Chesley B. Sullenberger III, skillfully ditched the aircraft into the Hudson River, between New York and New Jersey, after losing engine power due to what is believed to be a large flock of birds that flew into the aircraft’s engines upon takeoff from LaGuardia Airport. All passengers and crew members survived the crash, which is now known to many as the “miracle on the Hudson.”

The UM student and survivor is unavailable for comment at this time, a university official said.

“I have been in contact with the student but cannot release the name,” President Shalala wrote in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...