Basketball

Canes overcome 17-point second-half deficit, tops Maryland 62-60

When head coach Frank Haith takes his jacket off, it’s a sign that it’s time for his Miami Hurricanes to buckle down. When the tie comes off, it’s a sign that his team is in big trouble.

It was a tie-off kind of night at the BankUnited Center, but Haith and the Hurricanes emerged victorious, overcoming a 17-point second half defecit and crushing the Maryland Terrapins in a crucial home-court conference game, 62-60.

Miami struggled in the first half, shooting only 32% from the field. Those woes continued until the 12 minute mark, when Dwayne Collins had an authoratitive slam dunk to energize his teammates and fans. The momentum carried Miami all the way back, until Jack McClinton buried a fade-away three-point shot with less than 30 seconds remaining to put the Terrapins away for good.

“They just kept playing, kept playing,” Haith said after the game. “You’ve got to protect your home court to get in the ncaa tournament, and you’ve got to win this game.”

As usual, the star of the game was the senior McClinton, who scored 18 points, highlighted by the game-winning shot.

“In the first half, i was pressing way too much,” McClinton said of his performance. “In the second half, i calmed down and my teammates started hitting shots. You’ve got to trust in your teammates.”

Despite the first-half struggles, Haith showed the confidence in his star that led Miami to victory.

“[McClinton] kept asking for the ball. I believe in Jack.”

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...