Basketball

Canes overcome 17-point second-half deficit, tops Maryland 62-60

When head coach Frank Haith takes his jacket off, it’s a sign that it’s time for his Miami Hurricanes to buckle down. When the tie comes off, it’s a sign that his team is in big trouble.

It was a tie-off kind of night at the BankUnited Center, but Haith and the Hurricanes emerged victorious, overcoming a 17-point second half defecit and crushing the Maryland Terrapins in a crucial home-court conference game, 62-60.

Miami struggled in the first half, shooting only 32% from the field. Those woes continued until the 12 minute mark, when Dwayne Collins had an authoratitive slam dunk to energize his teammates and fans. The momentum carried Miami all the way back, until Jack McClinton buried a fade-away three-point shot with less than 30 seconds remaining to put the Terrapins away for good.

“They just kept playing, kept playing,” Haith said after the game. “You’ve got to protect your home court to get in the ncaa tournament, and you’ve got to win this game.”

As usual, the star of the game was the senior McClinton, who scored 18 points, highlighted by the game-winning shot.

“In the first half, i was pressing way too much,” McClinton said of his performance. “In the second half, i calmed down and my teammates started hitting shots. You’ve got to trust in your teammates.”

Despite the first-half struggles, Haith showed the confidence in his star that led Miami to victory.

“[McClinton] kept asking for the ball. I believe in Jack.”

Matthew Bunch

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...