Basketball

Canes overcome 17-point second-half deficit, tops Maryland 62-60

When head coach Frank Haith takes his jacket off, it’s a sign that it’s time for his Miami Hurricanes to buckle down. When the tie comes off, it’s a sign that his team is in big trouble.

It was a tie-off kind of night at the BankUnited Center, but Haith and the Hurricanes emerged victorious, overcoming a 17-point second half defecit and crushing the Maryland Terrapins in a crucial home-court conference game, 62-60.

Miami struggled in the first half, shooting only 32% from the field. Those woes continued until the 12 minute mark, when Dwayne Collins had an authoratitive slam dunk to energize his teammates and fans. The momentum carried Miami all the way back, until Jack McClinton buried a fade-away three-point shot with less than 30 seconds remaining to put the Terrapins away for good.

“They just kept playing, kept playing,” Haith said after the game. “You’ve got to protect your home court to get in the ncaa tournament, and you’ve got to win this game.”

As usual, the star of the game was the senior McClinton, who scored 18 points, highlighted by the game-winning shot.

“In the first half, i was pressing way too much,” McClinton said of his performance. “In the second half, i calmed down and my teammates started hitting shots. You’ve got to trust in your teammates.”

Despite the first-half struggles, Haith showed the confidence in his star that led Miami to victory.

“[McClinton] kept asking for the ball. I believe in Jack.”

Matthew Bunch

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...