Football

Stein: Transfer of Robert Marve provides for change in direction of offense

Robert Marve

A much anticipated decision by redshirt freshman quarterback Robert Marve to transfer from the University of Miami has been confirmed by the Miami Athletic Department.

Head coach Randy Shannon spoke of the decision Tuesday morning on 560 WQAM and Marve was reported as declaring that he could not play for Shannon.

Marve, who started 11 games but was suspended for the other 2, has been granted a release from his scholarship that reportedly will allow him to transfer to another Division 1-A team. Marve has three years of eligibility left.

The terms of the release reportedly restrict Marve from transferring to any school in the state of Florida, or any team that competes in the ACC or SEC.

Marve’s options now include transferring to another Division 1-A program and sitting out a year, transferring to a Division 1-AA program and playing the remaining three years without sitting, or playing at a Junior College for a season and then play the remaining two at the Division 1-A program of his choice.

The clear winner of the situation is freshman quarterback Jacory Harris, who Shannon has declared to be the starting quarterback going into the spring; for the first time in three seasons there will be no open competition for the spot beginning in the spring.

As for Marve’s future, rumors have swirled about transfers to in-state programs USF and Florida and SEC schools LSU and Tennessee. However, the terms of release would seem to prevent any of these rumors from coming to fruition.

Throughout the season, I argued that the dual-quarterback system worked for the ‘Canes. Neither was a complete player, and the combination usually worked to get the hot hand on the field at the end of the game.

However, it is apparent that for the team to move forward a clear vision has to emerge. That means a clear starter.

It would seem, at least to me, that Nix and Marve were a package deal. Shannon’s new vision calls for a new coordinator, which meant that both had to go.

It is unfortunate that Marve did not work out as the leader of the ‘Canes, but also necessary for one player to emerge as the leader.

Harris looks to be the starter next season, and Taylor Cook, Cannon Smith and incoming freshman A.J. Highsmith will challenge for the backup role.

Dan Stein

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...