Basketball

Tigers erase deficit, defeat Canes 74-68

The University of Miami women’s basketball team’s 13-point lead vanished in the second half as Clemson rallied for a 74-68 victory Monday afternoon at the BankUnited Center.

It was the first Atlantic Coast Conference game of the season for both teams.

Midway through the second half, the Tigers (10-4, 1-0) went on a 22-2 run over the course of six minutes and 10 seconds to take a seven-point lead.

Only two Canes scored in double digits as freshman guard Riquna Williams notched a career-high 23 points and freshman forward Shenise Johnson, who was named ACC Rookie of the Week, finished with 16 points and seven rebounds.

Three Tigers scored in double figures, led by freshman center Shaniqua Pauldo’s 15 off the bench.

Miami (10-5, 0-1) heads on the road to take on fifth-ranked Duke at 7 p.m. Friday.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...