Basketball

Tigers erase deficit, defeat Canes 74-68

The University of Miami women’s basketball team’s 13-point lead vanished in the second half as Clemson rallied for a 74-68 victory Monday afternoon at the BankUnited Center.

It was the first Atlantic Coast Conference game of the season for both teams.

Midway through the second half, the Tigers (10-4, 1-0) went on a 22-2 run over the course of six minutes and 10 seconds to take a seven-point lead.

Only two Canes scored in double digits as freshman guard Riquna Williams notched a career-high 23 points and freshman forward Shenise Johnson, who was named ACC Rookie of the Week, finished with 16 points and seven rebounds.

Three Tigers scored in double figures, led by freshman center Shaniqua Pauldo’s 15 off the bench.

Miami (10-5, 0-1) heads on the road to take on fifth-ranked Duke at 7 p.m. Friday.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...