Former University of Miami president Henry King Stanford dead at 92

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=16″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /] Photos by Chelsea Matiash

OPEN DOOR: University president Henry King Stanford holds a forum with students at the Rock on May 12, 1972. Stanford guided the school through the turbulent 1960s and 1970s by maintaining an open door policy with students. UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI ARCHIVE

Henry King Stanford, the University of Miami’s third president, died Thursday at age 92.

Stanford, who led the university from 1962 to 1981, oversaw a wide-ranging expansion of the school that had been housed in a renovated apartment building a decade before. By the time Stanford retired, the size of the faculty tripled, federal research funding increased by almost 700 percent, and the number of faculty with doctoral degrees rose from 50 percent to 75 percent.

He is perhaps best known for seeing the school through the late 1960s and early 1970s, a time when many college campus ground to a halt due to Vietnam War protests. Stanford was known for holding forums with students, where disagreements about university policies, including those involving the United States government, were aired publically. No major incidents related to Vietnam protests occured at the university during his tenure.

“Dr. Stanford was deeply beloved by the University community. Many alumni and longtime faculty and staff members have told me about how he would walk around the campus and greet everyone, even during times of student unrest,” current university president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement this morning.
“His enthusiasm for the University was infectious.”

Flags on the Coral Gables campus flew at half-staff on Friday to honor the contributions of Stanford to the university. Stanford is survived by his four children: Henry Stanford, Jr., Lowry Stanford, Rhoda Stanford McCabe, and Peyton Stanford, and a sister, Annabell Nickel. No information about memorial services has been released by the university or the Stanford family.

Matthew Bunch

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...