Former University of Miami president Henry King Stanford dead at 92

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=16″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /] Photos by Chelsea Matiash

OPEN DOOR: University president Henry King Stanford holds a forum with students at the Rock on May 12, 1972. Stanford guided the school through the turbulent 1960s and 1970s by maintaining an open door policy with students. UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI ARCHIVE

Henry King Stanford, the University of Miami’s third president, died Thursday at age 92.

Stanford, who led the university from 1962 to 1981, oversaw a wide-ranging expansion of the school that had been housed in a renovated apartment building a decade before. By the time Stanford retired, the size of the faculty tripled, federal research funding increased by almost 700 percent, and the number of faculty with doctoral degrees rose from 50 percent to 75 percent.

He is perhaps best known for seeing the school through the late 1960s and early 1970s, a time when many college campus ground to a halt due to Vietnam War protests. Stanford was known for holding forums with students, where disagreements about university policies, including those involving the United States government, were aired publically. No major incidents related to Vietnam protests occured at the university during his tenure.

“Dr. Stanford was deeply beloved by the University community. Many alumni and longtime faculty and staff members have told me about how he would walk around the campus and greet everyone, even during times of student unrest,” current university president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement this morning.
“His enthusiasm for the University was infectious.”

Flags on the Coral Gables campus flew at half-staff on Friday to honor the contributions of Stanford to the university. Stanford is survived by his four children: Henry Stanford, Jr., Lowry Stanford, Rhoda Stanford McCabe, and Peyton Stanford, and a sister, Annabell Nickel. No information about memorial services has been released by the university or the Stanford family.

Matthew Bunch

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...