Former University of Miami president Henry King Stanford dead at 92

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=16″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /] Photos by Chelsea Matiash

OPEN DOOR: University president Henry King Stanford holds a forum with students at the Rock on May 12, 1972. Stanford guided the school through the turbulent 1960s and 1970s by maintaining an open door policy with students. UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI ARCHIVE

Henry King Stanford, the University of Miami’s third president, died Thursday at age 92.

Stanford, who led the university from 1962 to 1981, oversaw a wide-ranging expansion of the school that had been housed in a renovated apartment building a decade before. By the time Stanford retired, the size of the faculty tripled, federal research funding increased by almost 700 percent, and the number of faculty with doctoral degrees rose from 50 percent to 75 percent.

He is perhaps best known for seeing the school through the late 1960s and early 1970s, a time when many college campus ground to a halt due to Vietnam War protests. Stanford was known for holding forums with students, where disagreements about university policies, including those involving the United States government, were aired publically. No major incidents related to Vietnam protests occured at the university during his tenure.

“Dr. Stanford was deeply beloved by the University community. Many alumni and longtime faculty and staff members have told me about how he would walk around the campus and greet everyone, even during times of student unrest,” current university president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement this morning.
“His enthusiasm for the University was infectious.”

Flags on the Coral Gables campus flew at half-staff on Friday to honor the contributions of Stanford to the university. Stanford is survived by his four children: Henry Stanford, Jr., Lowry Stanford, Rhoda Stanford McCabe, and Peyton Stanford, and a sister, Annabell Nickel. No information about memorial services has been released by the university or the Stanford family.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...