Basketball

Canes top former Big East foe St. John’s, 70-56

NEW YORK — It wasn’t always pretty, but Miami never trailed in Madison Square Garden and stormed past the St. John’s Red Storm, 70-56.

Leading scorer Jack McClinton totaled 24 points and five three-pointers, the last of which from three feet behind the NBA line which remained on the court from the previous night’s Knicks game.

The Hurricanes had three players in double figures, as center Dwayne Collins scored 16, and freshman Julian Gamble had a career-high 10 points against the team’s former Big East rival, despite not scoring for the first five minutes of the second half.

St. John’s (9-3) was lead by Quincy Roberts, who scored 14 points and lead all players with nine rebounds.

Miami (8-3, 0-1) now returns to the Sunshine State to prepare for the Ospreys of North Florida (2-8) on New Year’s Eve at 2 p.m. The game will be broadcast on FSN-Florida.

Matthew Bunch

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...