Concert Review: Jingle Ball

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2536323&show_title=0&show_byline=0″ height=”263″ width=”351″ allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricane sat down with actor and musician Jesse McCartney during Y-100's 2008 Jingle Ball concert

Pop music’s most celebrated crooners performed their chart-topping hits at Y-100’s annual Jingle Ball Saturday night at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.

Although Rihanna headlined the show and rules the music scene with songs like “Rehab,” it was rock band Fall Out Boy that had the more than 12,000 tweens and their parents jumping up and down in their seats.

Besides starting the wave and talking about “Twilight” actor Robert Pattinson, bassist Pete Wentz and company played songs from all five of their albums, including their new single “I Don’t Care.”

Never before have lead vocalist Patrick Stump and the boys sounded as good at a South Florida concert. Wentz and guitarist Joe Trohman’s twirls and tricks energized the crowd.

To finish their rocking set, Wentz, who recently became a father, continued his custom of jumping into girls’ clawing arms during the song “Saturday.”

Katy Perry came as another surprise on the evening.

After watching several live performances on television in which her voice sounded mediocre at best, Perry, clad in a Santa-inspired dress, cruised through hits “I Kissed a Girl” and “Hot N Cold” with the help of a singing audience.

But it was her guitar playing on the ballad “Thinking of You” as well as her genuine nerves and rambling in between songs that showed an endearing side to the provocative singer.

Newcomer Lady Gaga also impressed, singing “Just Dance” and a mixture of other songs off her debut album, The Fame, while being carried by her backup dancers in a Material Girl-like fashion.

Baby-faced Jesse McCartney and two backup singers showed off his fresh R&B sound. Girls of all ages squealed their lungs out as he sang hits such as “Leavin'” and “Beautiful Soul.”

The “warm-up” acts- Kevin Rudolf, The Veronicas and The Academy Is– performed radio-friendly fare to mixed results. Shontelle, meanwhile, proved that she could join fellow Barbados native, Rihanna, on the charts in the future.

For all of the hype regarding the prince and princess duo in pop, Rihanna and Chris Brown, there seemed to be something missing.

Her fusion of musical genres didn’t showcase an outstanding voice, yet Rihanna’s onstage persona kept her in a league of her own.

Rumored boyfriend, Chris Brown, performed “Forever” during the set and the two sang a memorable and sensual duet of “Umbrella” to wrap up the show.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...