Concert Review: Jingle Ball

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2536323&show_title=0&show_byline=0″ height=”263″ width=”351″ allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricane sat down with actor and musician Jesse McCartney during Y-100's 2008 Jingle Ball concert

Pop music’s most celebrated crooners performed their chart-topping hits at Y-100’s annual Jingle Ball Saturday night at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.

Although Rihanna headlined the show and rules the music scene with songs like “Rehab,” it was rock band Fall Out Boy that had the more than 12,000 tweens and their parents jumping up and down in their seats.

Besides starting the wave and talking about “Twilight” actor Robert Pattinson, bassist Pete Wentz and company played songs from all five of their albums, including their new single “I Don’t Care.”

Never before have lead vocalist Patrick Stump and the boys sounded as good at a South Florida concert. Wentz and guitarist Joe Trohman’s twirls and tricks energized the crowd.

To finish their rocking set, Wentz, who recently became a father, continued his custom of jumping into girls’ clawing arms during the song “Saturday.”

Katy Perry came as another surprise on the evening.

After watching several live performances on television in which her voice sounded mediocre at best, Perry, clad in a Santa-inspired dress, cruised through hits “I Kissed a Girl” and “Hot N Cold” with the help of a singing audience.

But it was her guitar playing on the ballad “Thinking of You” as well as her genuine nerves and rambling in between songs that showed an endearing side to the provocative singer.

Newcomer Lady Gaga also impressed, singing “Just Dance” and a mixture of other songs off her debut album, The Fame, while being carried by her backup dancers in a Material Girl-like fashion.

Baby-faced Jesse McCartney and two backup singers showed off his fresh R&B sound. Girls of all ages squealed their lungs out as he sang hits such as “Leavin'” and “Beautiful Soul.”

The “warm-up” acts- Kevin Rudolf, The Veronicas and The Academy Is– performed radio-friendly fare to mixed results. Shontelle, meanwhile, proved that she could join fellow Barbados native, Rihanna, on the charts in the future.

For all of the hype regarding the prince and princess duo in pop, Rihanna and Chris Brown, there seemed to be something missing.

Her fusion of musical genres didn’t showcase an outstanding voice, yet Rihanna’s onstage persona kept her in a league of her own.

Rumored boyfriend, Chris Brown, performed “Forever” during the set and the two sang a memorable and sensual duet of “Umbrella” to wrap up the show.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...