Concert Review: Jingle Ball

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2536323&show_title=0&show_byline=0″ height=”263″ width=”351″ allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricane sat down with actor and musician Jesse McCartney during Y-100's 2008 Jingle Ball concert

Pop music’s most celebrated crooners performed their chart-topping hits at Y-100’s annual Jingle Ball Saturday night at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.

Although Rihanna headlined the show and rules the music scene with songs like “Rehab,” it was rock band Fall Out Boy that had the more than 12,000 tweens and their parents jumping up and down in their seats.

Besides starting the wave and talking about “Twilight” actor Robert Pattinson, bassist Pete Wentz and company played songs from all five of their albums, including their new single “I Don’t Care.”

Never before have lead vocalist Patrick Stump and the boys sounded as good at a South Florida concert. Wentz and guitarist Joe Trohman’s twirls and tricks energized the crowd.

To finish their rocking set, Wentz, who recently became a father, continued his custom of jumping into girls’ clawing arms during the song “Saturday.”

Katy Perry came as another surprise on the evening.

After watching several live performances on television in which her voice sounded mediocre at best, Perry, clad in a Santa-inspired dress, cruised through hits “I Kissed a Girl” and “Hot N Cold” with the help of a singing audience.

But it was her guitar playing on the ballad “Thinking of You” as well as her genuine nerves and rambling in between songs that showed an endearing side to the provocative singer.

Newcomer Lady Gaga also impressed, singing “Just Dance” and a mixture of other songs off her debut album, The Fame, while being carried by her backup dancers in a Material Girl-like fashion.

Baby-faced Jesse McCartney and two backup singers showed off his fresh R&B sound. Girls of all ages squealed their lungs out as he sang hits such as “Leavin'” and “Beautiful Soul.”

The “warm-up” acts- Kevin Rudolf, The Veronicas and The Academy Is– performed radio-friendly fare to mixed results. Shontelle, meanwhile, proved that she could join fellow Barbados native, Rihanna, on the charts in the future.

For all of the hype regarding the prince and princess duo in pop, Rihanna and Chris Brown, there seemed to be something missing.

Her fusion of musical genres didn’t showcase an outstanding voice, yet Rihanna’s onstage persona kept her in a league of her own.

Rumored boyfriend, Chris Brown, performed “Forever” during the set and the two sang a memorable and sensual duet of “Umbrella” to wrap up the show.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...