CD Review: Ace Hood

After the success of a hit single with T-Pain and Rick Ross, Ace Hood has proven himself as a young and up and coming rapper. With his newest album set to debut in a couple of weeks, Gutta will be one album you definitely should get for the holidays.

Ace Hood’s story first started began after an appearance at DJ Khaled’s birthday bash last year. After the appearance, Hood waited outside for Khaled to come from the stage and handed him a demo tape of his music. Once Khaled listened to the CD later that he called Hood back to set up a formal interview with him and Hood’s representatives.

With the progress of Hood, Khaled signed him, as his first artist to the newly founded We the Best music group was Hood is the featured artist.

Gutta was subsequently released a few weeks ago. The subject matter on the album, however, shows little range for hood. It ranges from drug peddling to songs about making money. This type of banter can be heard on many a major album out, so instead of dwelling on that, more should be said about the way it is done. While the songs demonstrate minimal originality and little thoughtful lyricism, the flows used on Gutta may be loved by those who can appreciate the down south bounce and Florida flavor.

That brings us to musical accompaniment. Some tracks definitely stand out. The energetic thumps from Drumma Boy’s “Get Em Up” and The Runners’ “Cash Flow” mesh well with the theme of the album and create a dirty musical backdrop. The more solemn sounds in “Top of the World” and “Stressin’” add much needed flexibility in production. However, many of the songs sound interchangeable including “Can’t See Y’all” and “Ghetto.”

Each song in Ace Hood’s Gutta symbolizes the growth and maturity that Hood has gone through in his life. The song “Gutta” goes back to his days living in bad neighborhoods in Broward County, Florida where he had to deal with a shootings and robberies.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Robert Horovitz

Contributing EDGE Writer

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...