CD Review: Ace Hood

After the success of a hit single with T-Pain and Rick Ross, Ace Hood has proven himself as a young and up and coming rapper. With his newest album set to debut in a couple of weeks, Gutta will be one album you definitely should get for the holidays.

Ace Hood’s story first started began after an appearance at DJ Khaled’s birthday bash last year. After the appearance, Hood waited outside for Khaled to come from the stage and handed him a demo tape of his music. Once Khaled listened to the CD later that he called Hood back to set up a formal interview with him and Hood’s representatives.

With the progress of Hood, Khaled signed him, as his first artist to the newly founded We the Best music group was Hood is the featured artist.

Gutta was subsequently released a few weeks ago. The subject matter on the album, however, shows little range for hood. It ranges from drug peddling to songs about making money. This type of banter can be heard on many a major album out, so instead of dwelling on that, more should be said about the way it is done. While the songs demonstrate minimal originality and little thoughtful lyricism, the flows used on Gutta may be loved by those who can appreciate the down south bounce and Florida flavor.

That brings us to musical accompaniment. Some tracks definitely stand out. The energetic thumps from Drumma Boy’s “Get Em Up” and The Runners’ “Cash Flow” mesh well with the theme of the album and create a dirty musical backdrop. The more solemn sounds in “Top of the World” and “Stressin’” add much needed flexibility in production. However, many of the songs sound interchangeable including “Can’t See Y’all” and “Ghetto.”

Each song in Ace Hood’s Gutta symbolizes the growth and maturity that Hood has gone through in his life. The song “Gutta” goes back to his days living in bad neighborhoods in Broward County, Florida where he had to deal with a shootings and robberies.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Robert Horovitz

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...