A letter from Mumbai: UM alum Kanika Chadda reports from ‘hell on Earth’

Kanika Chadda

Summer broadcast journalism graduate Kanika Chadda took a job in Mumbai at a television station after graduation. She recently contacted Prof. Tsitsi Wakhisi after the terrorist attacks in the city which killed at least 171 and injured 294. Here is her correspondence, edited and printed with her permission:

I was at the station the night of the first shoot-out and we had assumed it was gang related. Then we learned that grenades were going off at hotels in the city and terrorists had taken guests hostage. Our news reporters camped out on the street and I spent the night at the office helping the assignment desk make calls and help re-route live trucks. Ironically, my family and I were planning to have Thanksgiving dinner at the Taj Hotel that day. We have some family friends who didn’t make it out…one girl was shot but is recovering. My family and I would frequent the Oberoi and Taj and to think the restaurants and lobbies encountered a bloodbath…it’s so difficult to stomach it all.

TERROR: Mumbai's iconic Taj Hotel was one of 10 targets terrorists attacked last week.

TERROR: Mumbai's iconic Taj Hotel was one of 10 targets terrorists attacked last week. COURTESY ASSOCIATED PRESS

Our CNN-IBN feeds were transmitted to the U.S. so I’m assuming you all had live coverage. I’m so relieved it’s all over…now we’re focusing on how the sinister plan was plotted and which insurgencies were involved. One terrorist is under custody, the other nine were killed. The home minister Shivraj Patil resigned…and rightfully so since he didn’t respond to warnings or take charge at all. Mumbai seems to be getting back to normal.

Kanika Chadda

UM alumni '08

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...