UM offers resources for finals stress

JOSEF CAPUANO // Hurricane Staff

The holiday season is upon us, but many students don’t really feel that holiday spirit just yet.

With finals week beginning on Wednesday, Dec. 10, it is easy to start stressing about those dreadful exams and to forget about that vacation we’ve all been waiting for.

There will be four reading days for students to cram in some last minute studying. But for some, those days are not enough.

“It’s just nonstop. I study one day for a huge test and right after I finish, I have to go home and study again for another huge test,” junior Christa Ruggiero said.

Some experts believe that as students begin to study more intensively for exams, anxiety and stress start to kick in. However, some of these uneasy feelings may actually aid students in their study habits – to an extent.

“A certain degree of stress and anxiety is part of the process,” said Franklin Foote, a professor in the department of psychology. “The stress and anxiety cause for motivation which helps students concentrate on studying.”

“The problem is when the stress and anxiety get so bad where you have troubles concentrating and can’t eat or sleep,” Foote said. “Eating and sleeping is really important in order to concentrate and function.”

The University of Miami will provide resources for students having difficulties dealing with the pressures of finals.

The Otto G. Richter Library will be open 24 hours beginning on Friday until December 16.

“The library will be fully operational on the first and second floor, as well as the stacks,” said Rodrigo Castro, the access service manager for the Otto G. Richter Library.

There will be study tents available on the University Green outside of the library as well, to provide extra space for students to study. The study tents were first set up last fall.

“There will be electrical devices so people can plug their computers in the tents,” Castro said.

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) will also help students in need during finals. The ARC is offering tutoring and review sessions for certain subjects to help with exams.

The residence halls will also be assisting students by providing a midnight breakfast in addition to organizing study sessions for students.

So eat well, sleep right and get ready, because finals week is right around the corner. But don’t worry too much; finals week means it’s just one more week ‘til we can kick back, relax and enjoy doing nothing.

Fuel Up For Finals
C-store: Open until 2 a.m. on weekdays during finals, and 4 a.m. on weekends.Sbarro’s: Open until midnight during finals week 

Subway: Open until midnight during finals week

Starbucks: Open until 11 p.m. on weekdays during finals

Important Dates   

12/5- Classes end 

12/6 -12/9- Reading days

12/10- 12/17- Final Exams

12/18- Fall Commencement Exercises – All Degrees

12/18- Housing closes at noon for Non-Commencement Participants

12/19- Housing closes at noon for Commencement participants

12/23- Final grades available to students in MyUM

1/20- Spring classes begin

In the print version of this infobox, the beginning of spring classes was listed as Jen. 14. It has since been fixed here. The Miami Hurricane apologizes for the error.

Meron Berkson

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...