Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Trio earn All-ACC Honors

Freshman linebacker Sean Spence was named ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Spence finished third on the team with 62 total tackles and led all Hurricane linebackers with 7.5 tackles for a loss.

Sophomore kicker/punter Matt Bosher earned second team All-ACC accolades, while senior safety Anthony Reddick received an honorable mention.

Bosher connected on 17-of-19 field goals and ranked third in the ACC with an 89.5 field goal percentage this season. He was also a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award, given to the nation’s top kicker.

Reddick led Miami with 48 total tackles and 30 solo tackles against ACC competition. He started in 11 of 12 games for a secondary that ranked 14th nationally in pass defense.

VOLLEYBALL

Carico and Lantagne Welch win top ACC awards

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was selected as the ACC Freshman of the Year, while eighth year head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch collected the ACC Coach of the Year award.

Carico, senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis and junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew were all selected to the All-ACC Second Team, from a Hurricane team that finished tied for third place in the ACC with Clemson.

The three selections marked the most for a UM volleyball team since 2002’s All-Big East representatives Marcela Gamarra, Mallorey James and Valeria Tipiana.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...