South Miami Beats

South Miami Commissioner and Vice Mayor Randy Wiscombe resigned last Tuesday. Wiscombe, elected in 2000 to serve on the city commission, is retiring early due to health concerns. A special election will be held in January to determine who will fill his position.

The locally owned Coconut Grove Bank is opening a South Miami branch. The bank, which has been open for over 80 years, has various locations across Miami, with the newest one to be located on 6400 South Dixie Hwy.

The JCC Alper in Kendall is reopening its “A Walk through Jerusalem” exhibit this Saturday, Dec. 7. The exhibit, which is geared towards children, features a hands-on experience in which the old city of Jerusalem and its eight gates are brought to life. Each gate will represent a different theme, and the program will include activities that will teach of the city’s history, geography and culture, as well as tolerance for the different cultures it houses. The exhibit will also feature photography by Aiza Olmert.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...