South Miami Beats

South Miami Commissioner and Vice Mayor Randy Wiscombe resigned last Tuesday. Wiscombe, elected in 2000 to serve on the city commission, is retiring early due to health concerns. A special election will be held in January to determine who will fill his position.

The locally owned Coconut Grove Bank is opening a South Miami branch. The bank, which has been open for over 80 years, has various locations across Miami, with the newest one to be located on 6400 South Dixie Hwy.

The JCC Alper in Kendall is reopening its “A Walk through Jerusalem” exhibit this Saturday, Dec. 7. The exhibit, which is geared towards children, features a hands-on experience in which the old city of Jerusalem and its eight gates are brought to life. Each gate will represent a different theme, and the program will include activities that will teach of the city’s history, geography and culture, as well as tolerance for the different cultures it houses. The exhibit will also feature photography by Aiza Olmert.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...