South Miami Beats

South Miami Commissioner and Vice Mayor Randy Wiscombe resigned last Tuesday. Wiscombe, elected in 2000 to serve on the city commission, is retiring early due to health concerns. A special election will be held in January to determine who will fill his position.

The locally owned Coconut Grove Bank is opening a South Miami branch. The bank, which has been open for over 80 years, has various locations across Miami, with the newest one to be located on 6400 South Dixie Hwy.

The JCC Alper in Kendall is reopening its “A Walk through Jerusalem” exhibit this Saturday, Dec. 7. The exhibit, which is geared towards children, features a hands-on experience in which the old city of Jerusalem and its eight gates are brought to life. Each gate will represent a different theme, and the program will include activities that will teach of the city’s history, geography and culture, as well as tolerance for the different cultures it houses. The exhibit will also feature photography by Aiza Olmert.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...